Pilotworks is the largest operator of scalable shared kitchen and food production infrastructure for food companies. Our production facilities, billable by the hour, enable growing food companies to scale without incurring the fixed costs, growth constraints and costly underutilized time related to directly building and leasing their own dedicated spaces.
Our in-house portfolio of services include turnkey hourly kitchen space, speciality production capacity, learning resources and distribution services. We operate 7 production facilities nationwide and are growing our footprint rapidly.
We are a fast-growing venture-backed startup backed by seasoned venture and food industry investors and led by seasoned entrepreneurs with high-growth management experience from companies with a deep focus in people development including Zappos and TechStars.
About the Role
This is a foundational role that will help build the HR, culture, and team development function in our company of over 75 team members in five states. As our first dedicated HR team member, you will have the opportunity to build the systems that power a culture that values happiness, balance, and clarity. Reporting directly to the COO, you’ll be a member of our leadership team and play a pivotal role in our growth.
- Define the overall people and culture strategy for Pilotworks and engage with leadership to build a healthy, fulfilling, and inspiring workplace experience for our diverse team.
- Devise processes and implement systems across all people and culture domains, including employee recordkeeping, onboarding, hiring, benefits management, performance evaluation, offboarding, etc.
- Design and cultivate positive experiences at every step of the employee journey, building thoughtful practices that engage and retain incredible employees.
- Own and drive talent acquisition through effective recruiting and hiring practices, including defining processes, sourcing, engaging with candidates, promoting diversity, utilizing tools and external recruiters, training hiring managers, managing employment brand, and closing candidates.
- Design policies and execute new initiatives in people operations and cultural development to serve Pilotworks’ diverse workforce, and as necessary, bring in resources, tools, and techniques to achieve goals. Create ongoing employee development opportunities for employees and managers through training, programming, performance management, coaching, career path definition, competencies, etc. Oversee compensation and benefits administration, ensuring employees are properly compensated within the market and enjoy competitive and meaningful benefits and perks. Participate in senior leadership decision-making and communicate important information across the company.
- Employ data driven techniques, awareness of market trends, and technical solutions to determine critical needs, identify unique opportunities for people and culture development, and automate HR systems.
- Build and manage a world-class People Team that will help the Pilotworks team grow and thrive.
- Ensure administrative recordkeeping and employment practices are compliant with all applicable laws and regulations, in collaboration with external counsel.
Skills and Qualifications
- 7+ years leading HR/People Ops/Talent in high growth companies with multiple locations and multiple employee classifications (full-time, part-time, hourly, etc.)
- Experience overseeing HR activities in numerous states and expert level familiarity with compliance issues at the city, state, and federal level
- Proficient with employment law and compliant recordkeeping
- Proficient in HR-tech software and data driven people operations
- Experience building a team and managing all HR/people-related domains
- Experience overseeing compensation and benefits
- Experience with recruiting and talent acquisition tasks
- Experience designing processes and rolling them out across large teams
- Experience developing a distributed culture and working with a distributed team
- Deeply empathetic and skilled at relationship-building with employees across an entire organization
- Unflappably calm and able to handle the change and uncertainty that are inherent in a startup environment
- Passionate about leadership, comfortable working at an executive level, and confident making impactful decisions
- Strong communication skills, written and verbal, for situations ranging from recruitment, to sharing complex information, to handling tough conversations
- Extremely organized and well-versed in project management
- Naturally drawn to take initiative, reduce friction, and solve problems to help others
Our Values and Culture
Pilotworks is first and foremost a company about people (though food is a close second). We are guided by our core values as we work collectively on our mission, and we are proud to be building a culture with these values as the foundation: Be Helpful ● Community First ● Seek Leverage ● Stay Humble ● Become a Student ● Respect ● Radical Honesty ● Nurture Entrepreneurialism
We offer a competitive compensation package which includes a variety of medical, dental, and vision insurance options, generous paid leave, drinks and snacks, fun events, and more.
Pilotworks is an equal opportunity employer, and we actively cultivate a community and workplace that celebrates diversity. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, age, familial or marital status, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law.