BuzzFeed is looking for an experienced manager to lead a team of data scientists through BuzzFeed’s next phase of growth. You have a proven previous experience solving problems, making data-driven decisions, and leading teams to do their best and most impactful work.
The person we are looking for is an experienced manager who embodies the way we want to work and collaborate. You can balance deep technical expertise with the knowledge that sometimes finding the right question to ask is the hardest part of a problem. We are looking for a person with curiosity to learn and the to guide themselves and their team to get to the bottom of important questions.
BuzzFeed’s data science team is diverse. The team uses data-driven methods to power decisions, inform strategy, build robust data products, and identify opportunities for innovation across the company. We are true hybrids - software engineers, statisticians, mathematicians, domain experts and analysts - who specialize in translating questions into methodical approaches, experiments, and products. We think deeply about the limitations of data, and communicate our output coherently.
- Provide mentorship, goal-setting, and guidance for the data scientists on your team.
- Strengthen our relationship with other departments through effective collaboration.
- Practice radical candor, giving direct and actionable feedback to the people you manage, as well as to the people you don’t.
- Take part in recruiting, including reviewing, shaping, and evolving our process, training team members to interview , and proactively engaging candidates.
- Develop KPIs in a cross-platform world.
- Lead development of data tools, including AB testing, prediction and classification based services.
- Scope pragmatic solutions to complex, unclear problems, with a focus on tractable approaches and actionable results.
- Communicate complex ideas in a clear way to product, engineering, and editorial teams.
- 5+ years’ of industry experience building data products and deriving insights from large datasets.
- 2+ years’ experience managing and mentoring data scientists of varied experience levels
- Experience with media or consumer-facing tech a plus.
- Expertise using both relational and nonrelational databases.
- Proficiency with analysis tools like R or Pandas and at least one scripting language (preferably Python).
Life at BuzzFeed:
At BuzzFeed, we believe our work benefits from the diverse perspectives of our employees. As such, BuzzFeed celebrates inclusion and is committed to equal opportunity employment. As a BuzzFeed employee, you can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal and professional growth via work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning Team, Employee Resource Groups, and more
- An attractive compensation package, including salary and equity
- A generous and well-rounded benefits program featuring PTO and unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym and wellness discounts, and much more
- No shortage of snacks, catered lunches, beverages, birthday treats... even leftovers from the Tasty kitchens in LA and NYC!