SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
Bring your technical excellence with a genuine desire to serve internal customers to be successful in this position. If this sounds exciting, we want to hear from you!
MANAGER, MATERIALS ENGINEERING (COMPOSITES)
- Provide expertise and guidance to the engineering staff as it relates to materials selection for all forms of composites including ceramic and organic based systems, joining/bonding techniques, as well as materials testing and analysis
- Interface with a variety of engineering groups to identify proper material selection for engineering structures, components, and subassemblies
- Develop and execute a roadmap for investigating improved materials, processes, equipment, and technology for attaining new capabilities, organizational cost reduction, and continuous improvement
- Conduct and direct hands-on laboratory testing and failure analysis of vehicle hardware and raw stock materials
- Perform rigorous process and product failure analysis, and incorporate findings into research and development work
- Perform prototype process trials, materials analysis, and properties characterization
- Develop technologically advanced materials or processes that enhance product performance
- Work with external vendors to establish process control of existing designs and identify new opportunities for product development and improvement
- Be proactive and forward thinking with respect to team growth and department/company strategy
- Build, lead, and mentor a team of engineers focused on rapid development and execution of a program to develop excellence in advanced composites(includes recruitment, performance evaluations, and growth management)
- Bachelor’s degree in material science, materials engineering, metallurgy, mechanical engineering, chemical engineering, or physics
- 5+ years of professional experience with aluminum, high strength steels, titanium or nickel based super alloys, polymers, or composites
- 2+ years of experience leading a technical team
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- PhD in material science or materials engineering
- Strong desire to mentor and grow employees
- Expert level first principle engineering knowledge of composites and materials
- Knowledge of physical and mechanical properties of composites and how they impact design, performance, and reliability in aerospace systems
- Detailed knowledge of common production processes for composites
- Hands-on experience in a high-production and quality manufacturing environment
- Experience with technical review of materials processing and a sound understanding of the interaction between process variables and the resulting material performance
- Demonstrated track record of success in a rapidly growing, fast-paced, and highly competitive environment
- Personality and drive to execute in a scrappy entrepreneurial environment that operates under tight timelines and aggressive schedules
- Effective written and interpersonal communication skills
- Capable of interacting with and conveying concepts within all levels of our organization
- Strong academic foundation coupled with hands on experience
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.