We are looking for outstanding talent to lead our Public Policy engagement across India, based in Gurgaon. It is our mission to work closely with politicians, regulators, and legislators across India about Airbnb and the “sharing economy”, highlight the significant social and economic impact our business has on towns, cities and states, and showcase best practices from around the world. We want policy makers to understand the regulatory challenges that affect our host community and find solutions that are good for India and our thriving local community across the country.
To do this role effectively, you must be able to build trust and talk to a variety of authorities, from city to state to national government to help them understand the contribution that our community makes, and engage them in the process of creating fair legal and regulatory frameworks that embrace the potential of the sharing economy.
The ideal candidate will be passionate about Airbnb and the sharing economy, and have proven experience in managing regulatory and political issues within a corporate context - either as an in-house policy professional or as a consultant - or within politics, campaigns or advocacy groups. Experience in a startup e-commerce or other high- growth, fast-paced company would be an advantage.
While the position will be based in Gurgaon, this role will require regular travel throughout India - and beyond.
- Conducting the operation, the Campaign Manager leads the process of strategy setting for India, i.e. determining the ultimate policy goals and then developing operational plans that deliver progress towards those goals.
- These strategies are developed in close collaboration with - and drawing on the guidance and advice of - the functional leadership of the policy team in the country: Government Relations, Strategy and Content, Partnerships, Community Organising and Public Affairs.
- The strategies are always founded on high-quality insight and analysis, and are well aligned with Airbnb’s global approach.
Leadership and Delivery:
Leading a diverse team in different locations, they will provide direction and motivation to a multi-disciplinary team of partnership-builders, communicators, community organisers and content producers.
Core tasks within this area includes:
- Inspire others to get behind a vision, and deploying first-rate organisational skills to ensure that developed strategy is executed, targets are set, and projects delivered
- Commission and empower other functions to devise and execute tactics that will contribute to the agreed strategic goals
- Recruit and manage consultants and marshall external resources to execute their plans
They will be directly line-managing some members of the Campaign Team and taking responsibility for recruitment in many cases.
- In charge of a policy campaign, the successful Campaign Manager takes the lead on policy questions, working directly with legislative bodies and government agencies on Airbnb’s priority issues, including crafting and negotiating language for legislation, drafting comments on administrative registrations, and authoring substantive issue briefs and position papers. In doing so, they will work in extremely close collaboration with local legal partner/s.
- An integral part of this area also involves flagging local policy issues that may have pan-regional implications, and working with colleagues in San Francisco to develop global solutions and approaches as required.
- Engage in research, writing and other activities to provide analysis and critical thinking on developments affecting Airbnb’s priorities
Communication and Accountability:
- Being an integral part of a larger business, the CM liaises closely with their local business partners (e.g. Country Manager, marketing lead, legal counsel) to make sure that campaign plans fits with other local business priorities and outcomes.
- They also ensure that crucial internal stakeholders understand the campaign strategy and plans, and that information is flowing smoothly to everyone with a “need to know”. Progress shall be reported regularly, just as roadblocks and successes shall be flagged appropriately.
- Representing the company’s policy operations in the local market, a successful Campaign Manager will ensure Airbnb is favourably represented in meetings with government officials
- Ensure that Airbnb is represented in coalitions and collaborations to advance our advocacy initiatives - building these coalitions from scratch if necessary
- Represent Airbnb in meetings with government and elected officials, and at external speaking engagements, public policy forums and other public facing opportunities - including acting as a spokesperson on policy matters as necessary with media
- Well-developed leadership skills, substantial experience in managing other people and supporting and developing growing teams;
- Experience of managing complex projects with multiple stakeholders. Highly organised and able to stay on top of multiple projects simultaneously;
- At least twelve years’ experience working with policy issues in a relevant business or non-governmental organisation, or in a political, governmental or regulatory context (a mix of public and private sector experience is an advantage);
- Fluent English, plus at least one additional local language relevant to the market.
- Direct policy experience in one of the following fields: tourism, housing, landlord/tenant law or e-commerce/internet regulation – which must include a track record of influencing regulation and legislation at some level of government;
- First-rate personal, political, analytical and organisational skills;
- Ability to quickly get up to speed on complex technical and regulatory issues;
- Excellent communicator with great interpersonal and presentation skills, both for subject matter experts and the layperson;
- Ability to work independently as well as a team player in a multi-task work environment while producing the highest calibre work product in a timely manner;
- Self-starter with a sense of humour and the ability to thrive in a fast moving and sometimes stressful environment.