Netflix is the leading provider of streaming video, a lot of it original content: features, shorts, series, documentaries, comedy specials and unscripted content.
Optimizing content quality and longevity without compromising efficiency across all types of projects presents significant challenges, but that’s what the Creative Technologies team does. We achieve this by setting technical requirements and best practices, driving new industry standards, consulting on the studio’s technical infrastructure, providing direct support to Netflix Original Productions, and staying up-to-date with the most advanced developments in professional and consumer technology. Our engineers are subject matter experts who offer varied yet overlapping backgrounds in motion picture production, post-production and distribution - image science, editorial, color correction, image capture, encoding, compression, storage, video, audio... Every day, we collaborate with the crews as well as our internal production, post-production, distribution, marketing, facilities and development teams.
As Netflix creates more and more programming around the world leveraging new video and audio production technology, we are scaling to support the needs of diverse creative teams while continuing to foster industry-wide change.
You are an expert in the technical workflows and best practices of cinema camera systems for scripted and documentary content, with experience across all budget levels. You understand current workflows, techniques and tools, and how they’ve developed as technology and creative demands have evolved. You have worked with cinematographers, camera assistants, producers, and post personnel, and you understand their goals and challenges. You’ve kept abreast of developing standards and new technologies that are shaping image capture, and have ideas about how to ensure high quality, flexibility and longevity.
As part of the Creative Technologies group, you will:
- Evaluate new camera equipment, accessories and other capture related technology.
- Evaluate vendor readiness to support new equipment and the requirements of Netflix productions.
- Represent the Netflix Creative Technologies group at industry functions, conferences, committee meetings, etc.
- Provide direct technical support to Netflix Originals productions, sometimes in the field.
- Support the development of production support tools.
- Collect feedback from camera crews (equipment, technology, guidelines, challenges, opportunities…).
- Educate various internal and external teams on Netflix Originals technical specifications and production best practices.
- Explore, analyze, develop and document production best practices, identifying challenges and opportunities.
- Devise and carry-out strategies to achieve our production goals, improve efficiency and foster the evolution of industry practices.
- Create blogs, documentation and other support resources to educate creative partners and vendors about our requirements and initiatives.
- Help guide development and adoption of image production tools.
- 5+ years of production or camera experience in a technical capacity, interacting with creatives and operators.
- Understanding of a variety of image capture workflows and practices across different types of content.
- An understanding of color management.
- Knowledge of industry standards and the bodies that ratify them.
- Deep knowledge of optics and sensor technology.
- Knowledge of professional cinematography and camera associations and societies.
- Knowledge of and relationships with technology solutions, equipment and service vendors in the camera space.
- Knowledge of A/V distribution formats and consumer technology;
- The communication skills to clearly articulate and document technical concepts and explain how they impact the creative process.
- A passion for the moving image.