The Black Tux is reinventing the formalwear rental industry so guys can show up at their best on the days that matter most. The company designs and manufactures modern rental suits and tuxedos that actually fit—made of 100% wool, ordered online, and delivered for free. Using a combination of machine learning, tailor-trained fit specialists, and industry-leading customer service, The Black Tux guarantees a perfect fit every time.
As our Head of Product Design, you will lead, coach, and grow our design team in shaping the user experience for our customers & stakeholders across all platforms. You will be in charge of leading the design vision, strategy, processes, and team structure to help us achieve a world-class user experience. You will drive the ‘right’ projects forward for the business – balancing a resilient design system with immediate needs. This role will report to the Chief Product Officer.
What You'll Do
- Build and lead an organization of talented product designers to deliver meaningful results for key areas of the business.
- Attract, recruit, hire and retain top talent across all product design functions: user research, visual & interaction design, and content strategy.
- Lead activities across the product design team, ensuring quality of design, timeliness of project deliverables, and directing resourcing and prioritizing work.
- Collaborate with tech leadership during product planning to commit & deliver on roadmaps that consistently hit or exceed their goals.
- Shape a collaborative design culture through industry best practices as well as new ideas, tools, and infrastructure that help teams design, build, and ship great work.
Who You Are
- Experience leading 5+ person design teams collaborating with multiple mission-critical areas of a company and containing designers with specialized responsibilities.
- 5+ years of managing a successful design team
- 10+ years of applied UX/UI experience
- You are an advocate for design thinking, who is able to evangelize design and explain the ROI on product design investment to stakeholders.
- You understand how to leverage data as input for design and have a proven track record of leading teams to deliver on designs that in turn deliver business impact.
- You are an honest leader who believes in transparency: you share openly with your team, and connect with team members personally as well as professionally.
- You are an excellent communicator, able to articulate your viewpoint to achieve the best outcomes.
- You are a well-rounded design thinker, familiar with best practice not only for design, but research, messaging, and user experiences.
- You have experience in growing a design team from small to large, and have opinions about best practice for hiring, retaining, and nurturing team members.
- You have worked within both large and small companies as a designer, and have opinions around how to best scale a design team through different stages of growth.
Benefits and Perks of Working at The Black Tux
- Exciting startup environment
- Weekly catered lunches
- Dog Friendly Office
- Complimentary dry cleaning & tailoring services
- Health, dental and vision coverage
- Paid Parking
- Paid maternity and paternity leave
- Open vacation time
- Stocked Kitchen & pantry
- Apple equipment or whatever you need to be productive
- Quarterly team outingsCompany Happy HoursFree suit rentals
We're an equal opportunity employer to all. We interview and hire applicants of all backgrounds, orientations, expressions, and identities.