Qubole, the leading cloud-agnostic, big data-as-a-service provider, is passionate about making data-driven insights easily accessible to anyone. Qubole delivers the industry’s first autonomous data platform. The cloud-based data platform, Qubole Data Service (QDS), removes the burden of maintaining infrastructure of multiple big data processing engines, and enables customers to focus on their data. Qubole customers process nearly an exabyte of data every month. Qubole investors include Charles River, Institutional Venture Partners, Lightspeed, Norwest, Harmony and Singtel Innov8.
What you'll be doing
- Project Management: Effectively manage and deliver multiple initiatives in the Qubole operations team with high quality and on schedule. Work closely with engineering and product leadership to prioritize these initiatives to deliver the greatest value to the business
- Technical Leadership: Provide technical and process guidance on operational best practices for 24x7x365 availability and reliability across multiple Qubole production environments. Help in creating standardized processes for SRE/Site Operations engineers to monitor, alert, debug, and resolve production incidents. Lead the team’s response to production incidents and coordinate with engineering on resolving issues. When required, get to the code/infrastructure level to guide the team or resolve operational issues
- Work with Qubole Security team to establish and document security controls and procedures
- Develop/Improve tools to automate the deployment, administration, and monitoring of a large-scale web service on AWS cloud
- People Management: Build up an SRE/SiteOps team to provide 24x7 coverage for all Qubole production environments. Coach and mentor operations engineers to gain valuable technical skills and grow in their career
Required experiences and skills
- Strong experience creating standardized and streamlined operational processes/tools for operating large and complex distributed systems. Excellent prioritization, time management abilities, and a focus on execution
- Strong system administration background for Linux based systems
- Good verbal/written communication skills and leadership experience -- managing multiple initiatives, leading meetings, handling incident responses, presenting to diverse audiences, and building high performing teams
- Strong problem-solving skills – both in the technology and leadership/influence areas
- Operational expertise around deploying and managing components like MySQL, Nginx, ElasticSearch, Java Applications, RoR, Load Balancers, Graphana, RabibitMQ, etc.
- Comfortable with networking fundamentals like Firewalls, Subnetting, Route tables etc.
- Exposure to scripting languages like Bash, Python or Ruby is desired
- Bachelors degree in CS/Eng required, masters/ Ph.D. a plus
Qubole is hitting that growth inflection point where we need talented people to help us scale up. Our company culture is special, and we are looking for people to join us who want to continue building a great company while going after the big data activation market.
If you want to get technical, click here
for a 5 min run down of how Qubole works
Watch a talk given by our CEO here
Culture at Qubole
Trust and Autonomy: We absolutely pride ourselves on the lack of bureaucracy at work, and believe in delegating power and responsibility, aggressively to our employees.
Transparency and Teamwork: Complete transparency in all our thoughts and actions is integral to our genetic character, and it helps us to stick together and function effectively as a team.
Who Thrives: If you are a self-starter and thrive on complexity and independence and truly understand and live the tenets of humility, hunger and honesty and you will love Qubole.
Qubole is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that proudly pursues and hires a diverse workforce. Qubole does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender-identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state, or federal laws or prohibited by Company policy. Qubole also strives for a healthy and safe workplace and strictly prohibits harassment of any kind.