Zymergen is hiring for the position of Research Associate in our DNA, Plasmid and Strain Production teams within our Production department. The Production team at Zymergen is responsible for the construction and screening of thousands of microbes per week. This Research Associates position will be responsible for either the DNA, Plasmid or Strain manufacturing processes within Production. The Research Associate will run a diversity automated workflows in a high-throughput environment. We need members of the Production team to be thoughtful, meticulous, well-organized, energetic, collaborative, and fully engaged in the execution of the workflows.
- Entering and processing data using custom software
- Working with diverse integrated automation platforms to perform high-throughput cell and molecular biology workflows.
- Adapting to complex multi-day experimental schedules and evolving standardized operating procedures.
- Presenting results or project progress at team meeting as required.
- Recognizing opportunities to improve workflows and communicating appropriately to manager and/or adjacent teams.
- Mentoring and training other team members as required.
- Scheduling work.
- Communicating with external and internal teams as required
We favor candidates with a Bachelor’s degree in molecular biology, microbiology, biology, chemistry, engineering, or other quantitative disciplines with greater than 1 years of relevant experience working in manufacturing or laboratory environment. We are looking for candidates with some of the following qualifications:
- Familiarity with techniques in molecular biology, including PCR, Isolation of Plasmids from Microorganisms, DNA Purification, NGS Library Preparation and Quantification of DNA via Spectrophotometry, Cell Culturing, DNA Sizing via Electrophoresis and Sterile Technique.
- Previous experience using Qiagen or Zymo Research Kits a plus but not required.
- Direct experience using lab automation such as Tecan, Agilent or Labcyte automation platforms (Beckman, Tecan, etc.) to enable complicated or high-throughput protocols.
- Ability to work under deadlines and good time management skills.
- Experience working with database and other types of Laboratory software (LIMS).
- Experience identifying areas of improvement for biological methods or processes.
- Experience writing and following complicated SOPs.
- Experience mentoring and training others on established protocols.
- Capability to manage multiple ongoing multi-day workflows, including scheduling instrumentation, preparing reagents and materials.
- Knowledge of manufacturing principles such standard work and lean manufacturing.
- Familiarity with concepts in statistics, tools to analyze data such as JMP/R and the ability to perform data management functions in Python or SQL not required, but will be given priority.
- Prior experience in a lead/supervisor role is not required, but will be given priority.
- The position will require work outside of the normal business hours (M-F 9-6) including weekends and holidays.