Zymergen is hiring for the position Research Associate, NGS Library Preparation within our Production team. The Production team at Zymergen is responsible for the construction and screening of thousands of microbes per week. This Research Associates position will be responsible for the Preparation of samples for sequencing and data processing on sequencing results. The Research Associate will run a diversity of automated workflows in a high-throughput environment. We need members of the Production team to be thoughtful, meticulous, well-organized, energetic, collaborative, and fully engaged in the execution of the workflows.
- Entering and processing data using custom software
- Working with diverse integrated automation platforms to perform high-throughput Molecular biology assays, NGS library preparation and Quantification of DNA via Spectrophotometry
- Adapting to complex multi-day experimental schedules and evolving standardized operating procedures
- Presenting results or project progress at team meeting
- Recognizing opportunities to improve workflows and communicating appropriately to manager and/or adjacent teams
- Mentoring and training other team members as required
- Scheduling work.
- Communicating with external and internal teams as required.
We favor candidates with a Bachelor’s degree in molecular biology, microbiology, biology, chemistry, engineering, or other quantitative disciplines with greater than 2 years of relevant experience working in a core facility within manufacturing or laboratory environments.
- NGS experience prefered.
- Familiarity with techniques in molecular biology such as PCR, enzymatic digestion, fragment analysis, gel electrophoresis, nucleic acid isolation, DNA quantification, nanodrop, fluorescence based assays.
- Direct experience using lab automation Tecan, Agilent or Labcyte automation platforms (Beckman, Tecan, etc.) to enable complicated or high-throughput protocols.
- Ability to work under deadlines and good time management skills.
- Experience working with database and other types of Laboratory software (LIMS).
- Experience identifying areas of improvement for biological methods or processes.
- Experience writing and following complicated SOPs.
- Experience mentoring and training others on established protocols.
- Capability to manage multiple ongoing multi-day workflows, including scheduling instrumentation, preparing reagents and materials.
- Knowledge of manufacturing principles such standard work and lean manufacturing.
- Familiarity with concepts in statistics, tools to analyze data such as JMP/R and the ability to perform data management functions in Python or SQL not required, but will be given priority.
- Prior experience in a lead/supervisor role is not required, but will be given priority.
- The position will require work outside of the normal business hours (M-F 9-6) including weekends and holidays.
Founded in 2013 and based in the San Francisco Bay Area, Zymergen is a technology company unlocking the power of biology. We deliver better economics for products made from biology that are used across industries, bring new products to market faster, and develop novel products. Our proprietary platform uses robots and machine learning to engineer microbes faster, more predictably, and to a level of performance previously unattainable. These microbes, and the products they produce, have broad applications across industries such as chemicals and materials, agriculture, and healthcare. For more information visit www.zymergen.com.