Refinery29 is the leading digital media and entertainment company focused on women with a global audience footprint of 550 million across all platforms. Our mission is to be a catalyst for women to feel, see, and claim their power by providing optimistic and diverse creativity, storytelling, and points of view. We deliver style and substance to an audience that's highly engaged across a variety of devices and destinations, from the original video and editorial features, to live experiences and social storytelling. Please visit www.refinery29.com, www.refinery29.uk, and www.refinery29.de for more information and to browse content.
About the Role:
As VP, Photo & Design at Refinery29, you are responsible for how the brand’s mission and values translate to design and photography, overseeing the brand expression across manyall touchpoints and channels. You are an excellent manager and collaborator, and have an instinctual knack for identifying the creative spaces that need focus while balancing the needs of the business. The VP, Photo & Design reports to the Chief Content Officer and partners with the Executive Creative Director and Global Editor In Chief to ensure that all photography and design throughout Refinery29 is thoughtfully conceptualized and executed.
What Makes an R29er?
- You have commitment and passion about the mission of R29 to be a catalyst for women to feel, see, and claim their power and realize their infinite potential. You are a magic maker who sees possibility and turns dreams into reality.
What you’ll do:
- Hire, manage, and mentor the Design & Photography teams, a group of 20+ that includes designers, illustrators, animators, photo editors, and photo researchers working on content across all channels and categories, both editorial and branded, inspiring them to do their most creative & meaningful work.
- Influence and mentor creatives working across the company and in remote offices so that they clearly understand and execute the visual brand consistently in their work.
- Foster a thriving, inspirational, and immensely creative work environment for the team, rooted in R29 values
- Partner with the Executive Creative Director and other key leaders to evolve & articulate the Refinery29 brand into design and photography, creating the education systems company-wide to ensure the brand is consistent.
- Lead key brand initiatives — multi-faceted, multi-media, or R&D endeavors that bring R29 into new territory and define the brand — within the company in partnership with senior leadership.
- Deeply understand our mission and values, ensuring they translate into actionable practices employed by the entire photo & design teams.
- Cultivate relationships with leadership across the organization to ensure that the design & photo team is collaborating efficiently, supporting the business, and have visibility throughout the org.
- Oversee departmental procedures and negotiations, including operations, resource management, contracts,rights, seeking opportunities for collaboration and efficiency.
- Oversee departmental budgets, work with key internal partners to forecast and actualize budgets, anticipate company needs and budget appropriately.
- Serve as an ambassador to the R29 brand, amplifying our place in the industry as a first-class creative workplace.
- Scout and attract key talent for staff, freelance, and project-based collaboration opportunities across design, photo, video, and experiential work.
- Ensure we have strong design & photo output across channels and categories, understanding the parameters and performance goals of each and coaching teams to deliver.
What you have:
- 10+ years of related experience
- Deep creative leadership and management experience, ideally within large organizations, developing people and their careers on teams of 10+
- Experience working at a Brand, Media Company, or Agency (Ideally some combination of the three.)
- Direct experience with designing for and understanding the rapidly evolving digital media environment including emerging technologies and platforms and experiences
- Strong management experience overseeing team ranging in skill-set and career level
- Hiring, management, and mentorship experience. You can develop and nurture a team.
- Experience collaborating and managing up and down in an organization,developing strong relationships.
- Established relationships with creatives throughout the creative industry
- Deep understanding of design, branding, and multi-faceted creative execution, across a range of projects
- Ability to craft an opportunity to its highest potential, regardless of budget, with a dedication to excellence.
- Strong industry relationships with designers, photographers, artists, agencies, and studios.
- The ability to be an example of positive change: experimenting to improve on ideas, concepts, and processes to make creative work stronger.
- Experience creating a culture of constructive critique and deploying effective design methodologies like creative concepting, user-centric design thinking, and prototyping
- Deep knowledge of and familiarity with Adobe Creative Cloud Products (Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects, Etc.) (Keynote and Powerpoint familiarity is a plus).
- Strong desire to develop creatively and push the R29 visual brand forward
To be successful here you are:
- A skilled leader, passionate about growing and nurturing talent
- Agile, comfortable working in a fast-paced, high volume environment
- A problem-solver who sets an example of positive change
- Inspired to push boundaries and take work to its highest potential
- Able to collaborate across different departments and workflows, building relationships
- Someone who inspires, educates, and empowers others
- Imaginative, you see the possibility