What’s next for Airbnb?
Ten years ago, Airbnb’s founders prototyped a new form of hospitality. They rented out an air mattress on the floor of their living room, served cereal for breakfast, and hosted three guests for a memorable weekend in San Francisco.
Today, Airbnb’s community offers five million listings and tens of thousands of experiences on our platform, yet the journey has only just begun.
Join a small team focused on designing and building what’s next for Airbnb. We are an innovation studio pioneering the future of belonging. We’re a group of designers, engineers, and researchers encouraged to take risks; research new technologies; test big ideas; and prototype the products destined to define the company’s roadmap.
Designing and prototyping is an essential part of our discovery and development process. The Design Lead position is an individual contributor role based in San Francisco. This individual will be responsible for the creation of elegant and strategic products and services. Success in this role will be measured by the degree and quality of learning delivered as well as by the quality of our products’ user experience including their impact, ease of use, delightfulness, and beauty.
Our eyes are on the next ten years. Come design them with us.
- Actively designs new products, tools and/or services. Hands-on maker.
- Exhibits influence across functions and teams as a subject matter expert in visual and interaction design.
- Experiments with experience design; helps define the future of design at Airbnb.
- Seeks deeper understanding of Airbnb’s business. Identifies cross-functional opportunities and builds relationships and thought partnerships both within Airbnb and outside.
- Researches, develops, and pitches new ideas that align with long-term company strategy, reflect the company mission, and aim to help Airbnb achieve its goals.
- Partners with product management and engineering to ship well-designed prototypes for learning, while considering near/long-term, system-wide and global implications.
- Mentors less-experienced designers; provides meaningful critique, advice, and guidance to peers.
- Provides creative direction on projects they’re leading. Provides feedback based on process, craft, communication, and stakeholder management.
- Defines bold, long-term visions for projects, which align with Airbnb’s mission and goals. Motivates leaders and small teams to work toward those visions.
- Presents with confidence and clarity. Understands when presentations are necessary and delivers the right level of information at the right time.
- Encourages participation in team events and seeks ways to improve and increase engagement. Creates an environment where creativity flourishes.
- Helps to elevate the voice of design in the company.
- At least 10 years of experience with end-to-end product design
- Has shipped multiple products
- Expertise in interaction design and visual design. Has excellent judgment, impeccable execution track record, and a reputation for quality amongst peers
- Self-directed; Demonstrates the ability to balance proactive and reactive work; Understands the distinction between important and urgent
- Systems-thinker with the ability to think beyond the pixels and design for offline experiences
- Experience and comfort working across platforms. Eagerness to learn what’s current and what’s next in technology and to design in those spaces
- Affinity for a strong user-centered design process that values research, user testing, prototyping, and iterating
- Strong communication and stakeholder management skills
Online portfolio required to apply.