Vox Media employees thrive on innovation and change while ambitiously seeking to master their subject areas, hone their craft, and improve their communities. We help smart, talented, creative professionals make a meaningful impact in media, technology and the world around them. Vox Media’s networks and businesses include SB Nation, Eater, The Verge, Vox, Curbed, Recode & Code Conferences, Polygon, Concert, Chorus, Vox Creative, Vox Entertainment, and the Vox Media Podcast Network.
As the Director of Internal Communications, you will be charged with developing the overall roadmap and strategy for our internal communications practice. In addition, because this is an entirely new role at the company, you will need to develop a philosophy of what internal communications should look like for Vox Media. You will collaborate with all departments to assess and prioritize opportunities for internal communications.
An ideal candidate will have prior experience managing internal communications at a large organization. You are someone who is able to keep a level head and manage unanticipated scenarios with professionalism and grace. For you, internal communications isn’t just about getting the information out there, it is about understanding the unique culture of the company and communicating information that will resonate with employees. You thrive in a fast-paced environment and are able to proactively take initiative, dive in where you see a problem and believe in the power of innovation and iteration.
This role is Washington, D.C. or New York based, and will report directly to the Chief Communications Officer.
What you’ll do:
- Create and execute strategic and unique internal communications plans that better connect our Vox Media team to each other and to the individual networks and lines of businesses
- Unify internal communications by crafting and implementing standard communications forums, structures, best practices, processes that scale and guide regular communication across company leadership and our internal teams
- Build out a calendar of internal communications to regularize our drumbeat of conversation about our colleagues, the products they are creating and the strength of our company.
- Manage regular, company-wide All-Hands meetings, from prioritization of information to creation of creative, to managing logistics with office operations and the technology and branding teams
- Collaborate with People and Culture to develop strategies to effectively communicate change management, policy rollouts, and general information that is important to employees of Vox Media
- Advocate for and proactively drive process improvement for internal communications and messaging
- Collaborate with Brand Strategy to ensure internal communications and branding align with larger company voice and tone in an effort to foster excitement as an employee of Vox Media
- Partner with the teams within the Communications Department to maintain strategic alignment across all communications initiatives
- Partner with chiefs-of-staff across the company to maintain appropriate internal communications coverage and offer support for department-wide communications
- Liaise with the Director of Revenue Sales Enablement to align rollouts and philosophies
- Provide direction for any asset creation necessary to achieve internal communication objectives
- Innovate on how we celebrate work and build cross-collaborations
- Create and manage a centralized calendar for all major internal announcements and initiatives
- Advise senior leaders on utilizing internal communications within their departments and teams
- Establish metrics and track progress against goals of continuous improvement in effective internal communication
- Support the Communications team in the development of internal talking points and messaging for external press moments, company announcements and emergent issues
- Develop strong understanding of, and be able to effectively communicate and embrace, Vox Media’s Values and company culture
- Develop and implement a plan to foster inter-department communication
What you’ll bring:
- 7-10 years of high achievement in business communications, internal communications, or related field
- Ability to handle sensitive matters with utmost discretion
- Ability to successfully manage competing priorities
- Exceptional verbal and written communications skills
- Strong project management skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Media Industry experience a plus
About working at Vox Media: This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefits—including flexible hours and generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.