We're the driverless car company.
We believe in improving people’s lives by making transportation safer, more accessible, and more convenient. We’re building the world’s most advanced software to fuel the driverless cars that safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about.
We seek and embrace diversity in all of its forms. We continuously push ourselves to think differently and take ownership wherever it's needed. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed. If you share our passion for achieving what some say is impossible, join us.
Our Infrastructure team is building a highly resilient, performant, and secure internal Platform as a Service which hosts our core backend services to control our fleet of vehicles, runs driving simulations at scale, and executes machine learning training jobs for our Autonomous Vehicle engineering team. We’re currently using AWS, Docker, Kubernetes, Vault, and Spinnaker, but we’re also interested in your experience and suggestions.
We are looking for a DevOps Engineer to drive our configuration management, build, deploy and monitoring platforms. You must be a self-starters who thrives in a fast-paced, agile environment – which means wearing many hats, being able to change direction quickly, and showing an eagerness to learn and introduce new technologies as the need arises. But most importantly – we need a leader that can prioritize, multi-task, and deliver, because it’s a lot more fun to get things done.
Day-to-day responsibilities include:
- Drive technical projects from start to finish
- Build systems that scale to manage hundreds of petabytes of data across multiple physical locations
- Bring in new ideas, whether it's a new tool or technology that will help us massively innovate
- Help with all facets of Site Reliability/DevOps architecture, monitoring, tools & processes, production incidents and Root Cause Analysis
- Automate processes to increase efficiency wherever possible
- Design and implement best practices for security, monitoring, and logging systems
- Maintain and build deployment software and tools (CircleCI, Spinnaker, Terraform, etc.)
- Support our CI & Simulation infrastructure running on AWS GPU instances.
- Connect webhooks to allow tools to communicate and provide developers a rich and automated status.
- Ability to automate package and image creating with shell or python scripts
- Drive adoption of best practices in code health, testing, and developer efficiency.
- Work closely with developers to ensure on time delivery of services
You should apply for this role if you have the following qualifications:
- 3-5+ years experience in Systems Engineering or DevOps engineering roles having large scale software development experience building, deploying, and maintaining customer facing applications.
- A strong background in Linux systems, including bash/shell scripting and performance tuning
- Familiarity working with scalable backend APIs
- Experience with SOA or microservice-based architectures
- Thorough understanding unix and networking fundamentals
- Experience managing container-based workloads, using Kubernetes or other orchestration software
- Experience with AWS, or other cloud infrastructure providers
- Common AWS products such as: CloudFormation scripts, ELB, Redshift, CodeDeploy, EC2, S3, Route 53, and CloudFront
- Experience working with infrastructure automation tools such as Terraform or OpenStack
- Experience using a configuration management tool like Ansible, Puppet or Chef
- Continuous integration and delivery tools like CircleCI, Jenkins, Spinnaker.
- Familiarity with general monitoring principles, as well as tools like Sumologic, Datadog, New Relic, etc.
- Experience with on-call rotation.
- Ability to manage competing priorities, focus on shipping, and work well under pressure
- Passionate about self-driving technology and its potential impact on the world
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Attention to detail and a passion for correctness
- Experience writing in Golang, Node.js, Python, C++, or similar in a production environment
- Experience working with Kubernetes/Docker development and deployment workflows
- AWS S3 or OpenStack Swift Expertise
Perks of being a Cruiser:
While doing meaningful work is the best perk of all, we also offer the following programs and benefits to support the extraordinary humans who serve as the backbone in making our robot cars go:
- The opportunity to solve difficult problems that have immediate and valuable real-world applications
- Competitive salary and benefits including 401k Cruise matching program to help you meet your long-term financial goals
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Paid parental leave so you can spend time with the newest addition(s) to your family’s fleet
- Health and Wellness reimbursement
- Annual Learning and Development stipend
- Flexible vacation and 10 paid company holidays
- State of the art equipment for your workstation
- Healthy lunch, snacks, dinner
Take a glimpse through the lens of a Cruiser on our LinkedIn Page
GM Cruise LLC provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, GM Cruise LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Pursuant to applicable laws including the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.