Away is looking for an experienced Graphic Designer to own branded packaging from top to bottom. This role will lead the branding redesign of all current packing, with a thoughtful, systematic approach that can then be applied to future product expansion—the end result being a cohesive and elevated unboxing experience. You will be responsible for collaborating on the conception, development, design, and execution of all packaging and work cross-functionally with key stakeholders to ensure we’re achieving the best-possible outcome with consideration to various areas of the business.
This role will report directly to our Brand Design Director and be based out of our headquarters in SoHo, NYC.
What you’ll do:
- Evolve, own, and iterate on an elevated, cohesive design system that ensures brand consistency across all packaging touchpoints, from printed to collateral to interior details to outer shippers
- Optimize and streamline the packaging process with mindfulness to scalability and ease of ongoing improvements—always keeping in mind the customer experience
- Collaborate closely with the Packaging Development and Product Design teams in advancing the material and construction of boxes, dust bags, and other material needs to create a holistic packaging ecosystem
- Work closely with Project Management to facilitate approvals process with all key stakeholders including Brand, Product Design, Product Development, Operations, and Merchandising to ensure packaging meets all standards and needs
- Create original concepts with a fresh visual approach to design and materials while meeting business objectives and advancing Away’s brand strategy and vision
- Review all samples of packaging development and keep an organized library
- Be responsible for staying up-to-date on the latest industry trends while continuing to lead the way with innovative packaging, materials, and design techniques
- Maintain standards and help evolve packaging brand guidelines as we continue to grow into new markets, execute new products and partnerships, work to meet all legal requirements, and more
Who you are:
- 4-6 years experience in branding and graphic design, with at least 3 years in packaging design
- A strong, dynamic portfolio of projects that have elevated a brand’s packaging experience—demonstrating exceptional knowledge of packaging design, typography, branding, and print design with the customer in-mind
- You’re a detail-oriented, systematic thinker who strategically designs toward a larger brand narrative while also considering the minute, thoughtful details that will delight our customers
- You ideate and work best in a variety of materials, dimensions, and forms and are passionate about the latest trends in packaging, material design, and technology
- You are knowledgeable and proficient in packaging production and material processes
- A self-starter who is comfortable working independently as well as collaboratively, with competing priorities
- Able to to tackle complex projects under tight timelines—while maintaining a positive attitude
- You’re an expert in Adobe Creative Suite, specifically Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign. Experience with 2D / 3D software is a plus
- You have an understanding of Away’s brand, aesthetic, voice, and mission
- You love to travel (but that's a given)
You’ll love working at Away because:
- We travel. We encourage you to take time to recharge outside of the office. You’ll have flexible PTO to explore new places and access to Away products to ensure your travels are seamless. And once you’re here for three years, you’ll earn a sabbatical and a bonus to take a well-deserved trip.
- We’re not just employees. We’re people. We offer insurance coverage (health, vision, and dental), tax savings plans for retirement, dependent care, commuter benefits, generous and inclusive parental leave, and a kitchen stocked with organic snacks and coffee.
- We’ll invest in your career. Our company’s growing quickly, and we’ll give you the opportunity to do the same. You’ll have access to a number of professional development opportunities so that you can keep up with the company’s evolving needs.
- We’re creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global and diverse, so we’re building a team that is, too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, our new office in downtown Manhattan, and more, we’re building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional and physical space to bring their best selves to work.
- We offer competitive compensation packages. We deeply value the talent our team brings to the table, and believe that fair and equitable total compensation packages are part of our commitment to everyone who works here.
- And so much more. You can bring your dog to work. We’ll give you money every month to grab coffee with coworkers. We have weekly team meals and regular happy hours. We organize ways to give back to our local communities.
Away (www.awaytravel.com) is a global lifestyle brand creating thoughtful products designed to make travel more seamless. Since our launch in February 2016, we have sold more than a million travel products, grown from a team of four to over 250, expanded shipping to almost 40 countries, opened seven stores across two countries, and launched several new products and experiences that are inspiring more people to travel the world. And we know that’s just the beginning!
We have been named one of Fast Company’s “World’s Most Innovative Companies” for the second consecutive year, one of TIME’s “50 Most Genius Companies,” one of LinkedIn’s “Top Startups,” and a Forbes “Next Billion Dollar Start-Up.”
We’re building the #1 travel brand in the world -- come join us on this incredible adventure!