Since our inception in 2009, Foursquare has been a leading force in changing how location information enriches our real-world and digital lives. As a location intelligence 575 lexington?, Foursquare is comprised of two well-known consumer apps, Foursquare and Swarm, as well as thriving media and enterprise products. Our B2B offerings include Places (for developers), Pinpoint and Attribution (for marketers), and Place Insights (for analysts, based on the world's largest foot traffic panel). With more than 200 people across our offices in New York, San Francisco, and in sales offices around the globe, we’re dedicated to our trailblazing mission—enriching consumer experiences and informing business decisions with location intelligence.
About our Site Reliability Team:
At Foursquare, our production systems run on an innovative hybrid cloud-and-coloc installation. We embrace open source and home-grown tools in the belief that what works best, is best. We're looking for a seasoned site reliability engineer to help us grow, automate, and monitor our footprint, in the datacenter and in the cloud.
You should have a proven track record of writing automation tools, a solid understanding of operating system fundamentals, and familiarity with common production environment services. You should be comfortable running with your own ideas and eager to learn new skills on a bleeding edge platform. We use a variety of tools, technologies, and languages to build software (e.g., Scala, Hadoop, Python, Thrift, MongoDB, Memcached, Redis, Kafka, Chef, Aurora, Mesos, RocksDB, Luigi, Pants, Nginx, Haproxy, Logstash, Grafana), but experience with equivalent ones will do just fine.
A background and interest in security on distributed systems is a major plus.
Here are some high level areas you could get involved in:
- Rebuild our proxy tier to support more advanced load-balancing algorithms.
- Improve the speed with which we can reliably continuously deploy our backend services
- Build tools to analyze and optimize cpu, core, memory and disk utilization of services that run on our Aurora and Hadoop clusters.
- Improve our logging pipeline, and adding to the growing set of datasources we parse for actionable information.
You can join our Production Engineering team at our San Francisco or New York City office.
- 3+ years production environment experience
- Demonstrated tool building capability.
- Grace under fire and willingness to help troubleshoot to keep our services up and running, in a 24x7 oncall rotation
- Positive attitude, and a self-directed work ethic
Foursquare is proud to foster an inclusive environment that is free from discrimination. We strongly believe in order to build the best products, we need a diversity of perspectives and backgrounds. This leads to a more delightful experience for our users and team members. We value listening to every voice and we encourage everyone to come be a part of building a company and products we love.
Foursquare is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.