SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
MANAGER, LINUX AND DATA CENTER INFRASTRUCTURE
This person will manage a world-class team of IT engineers focused on the design, implementation and support of repeatable, reliable, and scalable infrastructure to support all SpaceX personnel, including the engineering, production, launch, and mission teams. The ideal candidate will be flexible and flourish in a fast-paced and challenging environment. He or she should be a self-starter and have excellent motivation, leadership, and ingenuity to excel at this position. This is a "hands on" management position; the ideal candidate will be able to coach, motivate and lead the team, while being capable of assisting with the design and execution of programs.
- Design, implement, and maintain all aspects of Linux-based servers and desktops, including:
- Open-source applications on Linux such as Apache, BIND, HAProxy, NGINX, sendmail/postfix, etc
- Source code and version control tools such as Subversion and Bitbucket/Git
- Workflow and issue management tools such as JIRA, Trac, and RT
- Build management and continuous integration tools such as Bamboo and Jenkins
- Code reporting and review tools such as FishEye and Crucible
- Databases such as Postgres, MySQL, and MongoDB
- High performance compute clusters and workload scheduling software and systems.
- Engineering tool license management and reporting tools
- Engineering collaboration tools such as Confluence, HipChat, and Read the Docs
- Logging, indexing, and search tools such as the ELK stack
- Design, implement and maintain all aspects of storage, including:
- Commercial and open source multi-protocol file-based solutions such as Network Appliance and Solaris ZFS, block-based high-performance storage such as Pure, and object-based storage. This includes capacity management, performance management, security / permissions management, auditing, backup and recovery, archiving, and disaster recovery.
- Design, implement and maintain all aspects of the physical data center, including:
- Data center physical infrastructure (space, racks, cabling, cooling, power)
- Physical server hardware and virtual server technologies, including VMware's portfolio of software. This is inclusive of all asset inventory, configuration management database, capacity management, performance management, and optimization.
- Define requirements, perform research, evaluate vendors/solutions, design/implement solutions, and provide ongoing support for all technologies in scope. Provide simple but effective scalability, performance, and reliability.
- Negotiate and manage enterprise infrastructure hardware and software.
- Drive consistent standardized solutions across SpaceX for all hardware, software, configurations, and processes.
- Implement tools and processes for efficient and effective operational management of the environment -- change management, monitoring, alerting, incident handling, customer request handling, etc.
- Define, manage, and execute on a roadmap of projects that continues to raise the bar through implementing innovative technology, tools, automation, and processes.
- Interact with internal customers to provide solutions and resolve problems in a timely and proactive manner. Serve as a primary liaison from IT to certain customers.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or a computer engineering field, or at least 4 years of experience as an IT Engineer with experience managing a team of IT Engineers.
- Experience with Linux servers in physical and virtualized environments
- Powerful Linux shell skills (bash scripting, output parsing, etc)
- Expertise in Python or other scripting and automation languages
- Experience with configuration management (Puppet, Chef, Ansible), provisioning, infrastructure as code, and other DevOps concepts and tools (Vagrant, Docker, etc)
- Experience with both client and server hardware/software, management tools, storage technologies, enterprise networking, virtualization, and security technologies.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Ability to clearly communicate and convey highly technical ideas in terms non-geeks can understand.
- A motivated self-starting personality, able to work independently while maintaining patience with constant interruptions and multiple requests.
- Comfortable working with mission critical and sensitive systems, with a sense of urgency appropriate to the responsibilities.
- A strong desire to automate everything!
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.