Grovo is a better way to learn at work. The platform empowers companies with the training technology and content to align, educate, and inspire their teams. From onboarding to professional development, Grovo's 60-second microlearning videos teach everything 21st century employees need, delivered in a way that learners love.
Founded in 2010, the learning technology company is based in midtown Manhattan and was recently recognized as the "Best Place to work in NY Tech" by Internet Week. The fast-growing SaaS startup has raised venture financing from Accel Partners, Greg Waldorf, Costanoa Venture Capital, SoftTech VC, Lerer Ventures and Red Swan Ventures. Learn more at www.grovo.com/careers or read our Glassdoor page.
About the role
As a Principal Infrastructure Engineer at Grovo, you will be owning our Infrastructure roadmap and responsible for cross-team collaboration with other departments in the organization.
You will be leading the team and working with our head of infrastructure on hiring and team scaling, in addition to owning the team vision to help aligning the day to day work of the team with product and business needs.
On a day to day basis, you will be contributing to the infrastructure code base, leading the team, and responsible for communicating progress within the team and with stakeholders to ensure visibility of work and owning high quality outcome.
Your technical expertise includes:
- Expert level knowledge and prior use of Chef in a production environment.
- Above average knowledge of the Ruby programming language
- Must understand concepts behind containerization (e.g. what is a c-group?), Mesos, Marathon, Consul, Marathon-LB, Service discovery.
- Understanding different programming languages paradigms, limitations, and best use cases for each.
- AWS services and best use cases.
- 5-7+ years of operations experience.
- Knowledge of Terraform or CloudFormation.
- In depth knowledge of project management
- Network engineering and an understanding of software defined networking vs physical networking and the differences between the two
- In depth knowledge of the Linux kernel, the gnu/Linux operating system and POSIX
- Knowledge of NoSQL and RDBMS
- Unix filesystems
- Reverse engineering capabilities at a high enough level to inherit an undocumented production legacy system
- Time-Series monitoring
- Working with medium to large scale microservices environment
Things we like
- Experience with incident response and postmortem culture
- Experience with hiring
- Competitive base salary
- Employee stock options
- Time off when you need it - unlimited vacation days!
- We pay 100% of employee and dependents insurance premiums -- medical/dental/vision
- Employer paid life insurance and short-term disability
- Free membership to OneMedical for employees and dependents
- 401-k match
- Pre-tax benefits such as commuter savings and flexible spending account
- Excellent 100% paid maternity and paternity leave
- Full in-office gym and personal training sessions with in-house Health Director
- Free nutrition and ergonomics classes
- Standing desks
- Mac or PC - you choose!
- Fully stocked kitchen and regular Happy Hours
- Full event space and 360 degree views of Manhattan
- Manicure and shoe-shining on Fridays
- Company and team volunteer days
- The opportunity to work at NYC Tech Internet Week's 'Best Place to Work' and Fortune 100’s #2 Greatest Places to Work in the US!