SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
IT Systems Engineer
SpaceX is looking for an experienced IT engineer that will be a member of the Information Technology Infrastructure team, be based out of Redmond, WA and support Satellite engineers located at Redmond, WA, Hawthorne, CA, and Irvine, CA. The ideal candidate will be flexible, possess broad skills across all IT technologies while possessing depth in a few of them, and flourish in a fast paced and challenging environment. He or she should be a self-starter, self-motivator and possess ingenuity to excel at this position.
- Work closely with the rest of the IT organization and other SpaceX engineers to gather requirements, research, evaluate, design, plan, deploy, and provide support for all IT solutions for the Satellite team in a world-class environment to meets the needs of the demanding SpaceX Satellite engineering team.
- Implement and operate IT solutions for the Satellite organization in line with standards and best practices that are established and documented by the functional IT teams (network, servers, storage, etc). Drive enhancements to these standards as appropriate.
- Make recommendations, justify, and implement improvements using an accepted change control methodology.
- Provide day-to-day IT support to the Satellite team in a timely and proactive fashion.
- BS in Computer Science or related field OR 4+ years of experience in systems engineering
- Experience with Linux and Windows servers and desktop administration in physical and virtualized environments
- Experience in day-to-day end user support such as user account administration in Active Directory, systems provisioning, network/telephone configuration, etc.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Experience with physical server hardware and virtual server technologies.
- Experience with high performance compute clusters and workload scheduling software such as LSF, SGE, and Slurm.
- Automation skills in shell (bash scripting, output prasing, etc), Python, PowerShell, and/or other languages.
- Experience with engineering tool license management and reporting tools, such as FlexLM, and OpenLM.
- Experience with Electronic Design Automation (EDA) tools, particularly chip design tools from Cadence, Synopsis and Magma.
- Experience with source code and version control tools such as Subversion and Bitbucket/Git.
- Experience with workflow and issue management tools such as JIRA, Trac, and RT.
- Experience with databases such as Postgres, MySQL, and MongoDB
- Experience with supporting multi-protocol (CIFS, NFS) network attached storage environments, such as Network Appliance -- including capacity management, volume/qtree support, quota management, performance management, security / permissions management, and backup and recovery.
- Experience with data enter physical infrastructure such as managing space, racks, cabling, cooling, and power.
- Experience with configuration management (Puppet, Chef, Ansible), provisioning, infrastructure as code, and other DevOps concepts and tools (Vagrant, Docker, etc).
- Networking experience in IPv4, switching, routing, firewalls and HA architecture.
- Must be comfortable working with mission critical and sensitive systems, with a sense of urgency appropriate to the responsibilities.
- Excellent communications skills with the ability to communicate with internal/external customers, vendors, management etc. in both formal and informal situations.
- Crawling, bending, lifting to hook up PCs, make cables, etc.
- Must be willing to work extended hours when necessary
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.