Have you ever had the opportunity to impact the lives of millions of people in a meaningful way and help them enjoy time away with their friends and families building memories? That is what we do here at HomeAway.com. We are the leading vacation rental website in the world with more than 1.2 million properties listed. We have over one billion visitors per year and serve more than one billion page views per month. HomeAway, Inc. is the world's leading online marketplace for the vacation rental industry.
At HomeAway, our mission is to make every vacation rental in the world available to every traveler in the world through our online marketplace. With over one million live vacation rental listings in 190 countries, we're committed to helping families and friends find the perfect vacation rental to create unforgettable travel experiences together. Our broader mission as part of the Expedia portfolio is to Revolutionize Travel through the Power of Technology.
- We are Passionate about Travel: We are a company of travelers who wake up every day with passion for what we do.
- We are Innovative: We use our collective intelligence to invent technology and create products to simplify and improve travel for our customers and partners.
- We are Enterprising: We relentlessly seek out opportunity. We take risks, act with speed and purpose, and always find a way to remove obstacles and get the job done.
The Opportunity in Marketplace Services – Revenue Management:
We are searching for a highly technical Director of Engineering to join our team in Austin, Texas. We’re looking for a leader that will drive the development & innovation of the HomeAway Marketplace platform and focus on a new product related to revenue management. The Revenue Management platform is mission critical, and must be built for high-scale, high-availability, and high development efficiency (i.e. rapid innovation). From product strategy, to technical design, to delivery, and optimization, – your role is to deliver a superior suite of products & services that will delight our customers, while creating a working environment where top technical talent will thrive.
As our Director of Engineering you will lead a worldwide software engineering team enabling the HomeAway Marketplace eco-system to provide revenue management capabilities for our supply partners leveraging a huge amount of data and partnering with our Data Science teams. You will direct, manage, and participate in the day-to-day operations of a team of highly skilled software developers. In addition, you will manage all the operational aspects of the software development teams to ensure business and product objectives are met. As a technical leader, you will be responsible for maintaining and raising engineering and operational standards by mentoring and reviewing the work of your team and continuing to recruit top talent. You will be responsible for leading teams through rapidly evolving complex demands, including multiple projects with dependencies on other internal organizations. You will work closely with management, customers, design, product management, database content and customer support to maintain and enhance existing products as well as to develop new products.
Successful candidates will embrace full accountability for their cross-functional teams and project delivery in a fast paced and positively competitive environment. Our leaders understand and embody the 'One Team' philosophy. They find creative ways to implement learning from ideas like Agile, Lean, Continuous Delivery and most importantly adopt a Scientific Method in many aspects for leadership, management, delivery and operations. Successful leaders generally receive continuous investment to grow their teams and scope of impact.
In addition, a qualified candidate will have the following experience:
- 7+ years experience leading high performance technology teams, creating a wake of business value (delivery results) and top talent (people)
- Demonstrated ability to recruit, retain, engage and rotate superior talent
- Led teams through fast paced development cycles; committed to automation, agile, lean-startup, continuous delivery approach
- Demonstrable passion for excellent Products and proven track record for delivery of innovation & industry leading products
- Accomplished leader able to articulate general approach to managing people and technology
- Experience with managing teams across multiple locations and successfully worked with globally distributed teams and vendors- Demonstrated ability to understand and communicate technically complicated topics
- Demonstrated ability to lead a 20+ person team(s) and double it in an aggressive timeline
- Depth of knowledge in least one function and broad expertise in multiple functions, with deep experience in high-scale internet, e-commerce services
- Experienced with leading & developing a large size team with bias for coaching leadership, and building a strong succession chain of talent
- Experience in data driven decision making and multivariate testing to drive conversion
- Ideal candidates will have direct experience in Travel, Ecommerce, Internet platforms, SEM/SEO, Cloud technologies, and running 24x7 high scale operations.
Competencies, Knowledge and Behavior:
- Passion for Results: Drive high standards for individual, team, and organizational accomplishment; tenaciously work to meet or exceed challenging goals; derive satisfaction from goal achievement and continuous improvement.
- Compelling Communication and Influence Skills: Clearly and succinctly convey information and ideas to individuals and groups; communicate in a focused and compelling way that captures and holds others’ attention. Create and execute influencing strategies that persuade key stakeholders to take action towards advancing shared interests and business goals.
- Analytical Skills: Secure and compare information from multiple sources to identify core issues; commit to an action plan after weighing alternative solutions against decision criteria; proactively and quickly make sense of complex issues; responding effectively to complex and ambiguous situations.
- Internet Platforms: Demonstrated technical expertise in architecture, design, development, and operations of high-scale resilient & elastic internet services platform, exposing business align service APIs that unleash rapid application development amidst a partner eco-system (both B2B and B2C applications). Well versed in core distributed system architectures, operating system & networking performance tuning (threading, memory, networking, etc).
- Business Acumen: Demonstrate a keen understanding of basic business operations and the organizational levers (systems, processes, departments, functions) that drive profitable growth; draws from personal experience to quickly evaluate business plans and processes to identify data or recommendations that need further investigation.
- Build and Maintain High Performing Organizations: Establish systems and processes to attract, develop, engage, and retain talented individuals; creating a work environment where people can realize their full potential; thus, allowing the organization to meet current and future business challenges
- Undergraduate Degree with a focus in computer science or related technology.
- Master’s Degree with a focus in computer science or related technology. - Leadership development training, demonstrating a commitment to personal development as a leader
- Great medical & dental plans
- Highly-competitive salary
- Target annual bonus
- Company stock (RSUs)
- Unlimited Vacation
- Free vacation rental on a yearly basis (taxable benefit)
- Ability to work up to two weeks in any of our offices around the world on a yearly basis
- Free drinks & snacks
- Weekly company update talks with our leadership team
- Free vacation-rental listing
- Electric, adjustable standing desk