MapR Community Manager
The MapR Community Manager will champion the use of our products and training courses by monitoring, seeding, and enhancing the overall growth and usage of the MapR Community, a new online externally-facing, highly technical community. This person will directly engage and build relationships with MapR customers, prospects, partners and on-demand training students on a variety of big data, Hadoop and Spark topics, as well as technical questions. As a critical part of the community team, the Community Manager will be a highly visible representative of MapR, helping to humanize the brand and enhance self-service capabilities and build the social support community. The Community Manager will be accountable for daily monitoring of and response to community activity, ensuring questions in the community are responded to in a timely manner by motivating internal technical staff to participate, supporting and training members of the community team who are responsible for managing particular community places, creating community content and programming, and cultivating a transparent, collaborative online culture that helps build trust, loyalty, thought leadership and product demand. This person will report to and work closely with the Senior Manager of Marketing Communications who leads the cross-functional community team. Ideally, the person will have a technical and/or customer support background.
- Minimum of three years of experience in technical support, technical writing / content creation, technical training, community management/moderation or technology development. Experience with big data, MapR products or enterprise software products highly desired.
- Computer science or technical bachelor’s degree (or equivalent work experience) to engage in and understand technical discussions
- Strong customer focus
- Process oriented, thrive on designing routines, systems & workflows
- Work across multiple departments and time zones, while meeting tight deadlines
- Ability to balance what is best for the company while still advocating for the best customer experience
- Ability to remain calm and focused in difficult and stressful situations
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment with tight deadlines
- Natural people-person who loves the art of relationships
- Exceptional English writing and communication in a personable yet professional tone that fosters meaningful relationships.
- Hands-on and self-driven
- Passionate about community best practices, principles, concepts, and technologies
- Basic UI/UX design knowledge
- Basic HTML experience is a plus
- Experience with Jive Software Platform
- Responsible for managing the MapR Community, developing engaging programming and content, and driving membership engagement.
- Oversee the community on a daily basis by being aware of and responding to new activity, unanswered questions, and member needs and behaviors.
- Search for existing content to share that may answer questions (blogs, answered questions, documentation, knowledge articles, etc.).
- Work with Technical Support, Education, Sales Engineering, Professional Services, Product Management, Product Marketing, Engineering, and Documentation to make sure that technical experts from across the company are responding to questions, ideas and discussions in the community.
- Lead by example in promoting a professional, positive, and active customer community.
- Motivate and engage community users daily, creating excitement around community initiatives.
- Identify core users in the community and develop them into content creators, ambassadors, champions, and advocates.
- Manage social rewards and recognition program for community members.
- Solicit and respond to feedback about the community and monitor the community e-mail address.
- Build extensions and supports in the Community to maximize marketing and sales programs.
- Monitor community activity daily for unanswered questions, untagged items, and misplaced posts to ensure the community search is directing accurate results.
- Coordinate with Customer Support to publish, categorize and tag Salesforce Knowledge Articles in the community.
- Follow routines for publishing MapR news and release announcements.
- Regularly review community content to keep it current and relevant.
- Keep content in the Community Help and Getting Started space current, especially when quarterly upgrades are released. Develop new content as needed.
- Work closely with Product Management and other departments to triage and funnel user requirements for inclusion into the product road map when appropriate.
Communication and Training
- Respond to user questions, help on-board new groups. Act as a technical expert for the community. Elevate questions that cannot be answered to the community team.
- Consult with individual departments to optimize the use of the community to meet the needs for collaboration and communication with customers, partners, trainees and prospects as well as help our employees better engage with external stakeholders.
- Mentor and advise designated space/group community managers to help them curate and optimize their respective community areas, following community management guidelines.
- Facilitate employee trainings on community best practices.
Governance & Policies
- Enforce consistent governance policies.
- Monitor community for spam.
- Provide rapid response for inappropriate or flagged posts. Deactivate or delete users when necessary.
Assessment, Design & Implementation
- Collaborate with the Community Strategist and the community team to implement community improvements and new use cases based on knowledge of community member needs.
- Setup and manage permissions for content access and other related administration settings.
- Report metrics consisting of both qualitative and quantitative measurements to help MapR evaluate the health of the community and alignment to overall business goals.
- Proactively escalate issues, observations, opportunities, and insights to the community team.
- Work with Jive Software customer support and other community-related vendors when issues are identified and track them through to resolution.