What We Do
At Blue Apron, our mission is to make incredible home cooking accessible to everyone—from the novice cook just getting started to the experienced chef. Each week we send hundreds of thousands of customers all the pre-measured and perfectly proportioned ingredients they need to prepare delicious and healthy meals at home. We introduce our members to new ingredients, flavors, and cooking techniques with seasonally-inspired recipes that are always delicious, fun and easy to prepare. We make fresher, healthier food available at better prices by rethinking the grocery supply chain from the table all the way back to the farm.
Who We Are
Chefs around the world wear blue aprons when learning to cook, and for us it has become a symbol of lifelong learning. Our highly motivated group of foodies is inspired to work on complex business problems with creativity and passion always looking to learn something new. We take preparation seriously, embrace a spirit of excellence, and put in the extra effort in everything we do. We are thrilled to be part of our customers’ lives, cooking and creating experiences in their home kitchens.
Where We Are
Blue Apron is a venture-backed, e-commerce company based in New York City, with additional offices in New Jersey, California and Texas. Launched in 2013, we have over 200 employees in our New York City headquarters and have grown to over a 4,000 employees across our National Fulfillment Centers.
About the role
- Support buyers and sourcing managers in establishing quantities of product that need to be ordered in order to fulfill production needs.
- Assist the Buyers with food purchases.
- Find alternative sources of short or hard to find product.
- Monitor produce market conditions to avoid sharp market increases and availability issues.
- Communicate favorable purchasing opportunities to management.
- Understand application of freight and shipping to optimize cost of goods purchased.
- Analyze and maintain recipe food costs to stay within weekly recipe budget.
- In coordination with Quality Control, ensure incoming product meets or exceeds the recipe’s quality specifications.
- Minimize shrinkage/spoilage of perishable products. Obtain credit from suppliers where applicable for returned, damaged, or spoiled goods. Coordinate storage of items to be returned to suppliers.
- Participate in periodic inventory counts. Conduct inventories as requested by management.
- Attend weekly company meetings and review food cost summaries with the team.
- Perform other related duties as needed.
- Strong analytical and negotiation abilities
- Attention to detail and organization
- Capacity to multitask to meet multiple demands and instructions coming from both the production facility and the corporate headquarters.
- Strong communication skills- must have good listening skills in addition to excellent verbal and written communication abilities.
- Ability to self-motivate and problem solve in a fast paced setting filled with hard deadlines.
- Willingness to put in long hours and go the extra mile.
- Passion for food (some interest/prior experience would be highly preferable)
- Produce and protein buying experience desired
- Strong Excel skills
- 0-2 years of experience
- Bachelor's Degree in related field required.