Metromile is a start-up that is disrupting the $185 billion car insurance market by offering an entirely new model where the monthly bill is based on miles driven, paired with a smart driving app. Our product marries engineering and data science to deliver mobile technology, automotive telematics, and data-driven applications to make a car's data accessible and useful to modern drivers, including street sweeping alerts, trip stats, decoded check-engine lights, and car location. We aim to make car ownership as simple and affordable as it can be.
You could think of us as the David to the auto insurance industry's Goliath. Buckle up and get ready to drive with Metromile.
About the role
As a Product Analyst, you will be an integral part of our Product team that is tasked with solving hard problems and creating great products. You will work closely with product, design, and engineering teams and use data to uncover valuable insights, deliver reports, and recommendations. You will define and report on key metrics and analyze user behavior and trends. Your insights will be essential to prioritizing product features and influencing the overall product and UX roadmap.
A successful candidate will be both creative and technical, with a collaborative and resourceful style. We're looking for someone who is passionate about business impact, loves to "nerd out" on data and is naturally curious about the data underlying any major decision or problem.
- Empower product teams with data and insights to enable timely decisions and answer high priority user and business questions
- Create and maintain insightful automated dashboards and data visualizations to track key business metrics and help deepen our understanding of user behavior
- Be the analytics owner for A/B testing experiments, to test new product ideas and convert the results into actionable recommendations
- Build data access tools and processes that allow semi-technical team members to explore, slice, and dice data.
- Closely monitor funnel/usage trends as new product features are implemented and concisely report on impact to key stakeholders
- Drive investigations on changes to performance, working closely with product owners to test hypotheses, synthesize a clear storyline and communicate across teams
- Participate in the design and research for new products or product features
- BS/MS degree in an analytical discipline: statistics, applied mathematics, computer science, engineering, etc.
- 5+ years of experience in analytics, data science, business intelligence or decision support functions in technology, management consulting or related industries
- Minimum of one year doing product analysis for a technology company
- SQL Ninja with experience extracting and analyzing data from web and mobile analytics collection hubs like Google Analytics, Mixpanel, etc. and big data systems like Hadoop, Amazon Redshift, etc.
- Experience in visualizing data, using visualization frameworks, APIs (like D3.js or packages in R, Python etc.) and BI tools like Tableau, Lookr, etc.
- Experience in hypothesis-driven A/B testing to drive product changes
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including crafting coherent narratives and implications around complicated quantitative concepts that can be easily understood by non-technical stakeholders
- Motivated by startups: You love working in a fast-paced, iterative, innovative environment; you move fast and motivate others to act quickly
What’s in it for you
- Competitive salary plus equity
- Benefits (health, dental, vision)
- Transportation and gym benefits
- Catered lunches and a fully stocked kitchen
- In office happy hour every Friday
- Monthly social events (trivia nights, skeeball, ropes course, etc)
- Mac equipment and ergonomic work station, customized to your specs