POSITION: STEM Curriculum Specialist
REPORTS TO: Senior Director of Academics
- Alpha Network Team
- School Leaders
LOCATION: San Jose, CA
Alpha Public Schools is a network of public charter schools serving the students of East San Jose. Alpha students, families and teachers collaborate to develop the 21st century academic skills and character strengths students need for success in school, college and career. Together we create self-reliant leaders committed to making positive change in the world.
Support a vibrant, growing organization dedicated to transforming public education for its students. Be responsible for supporting some of the most innovative charter schools on the West Coast. The STEM Curriculum Specialist will provide leadership in the development, coordination, implementation, and support of curriculum, instruction, assessment, and professional development of Alpha’s STEM Program across four school sites in East San Jose. Strong candidates will be able to effectively communicate with others, have the entrepreneurial spirit required for a startup, and deeply believe in the no excuses/high expectations world of charter success. A growth mindset and strong mission alignment will be the defining characteristics of success.
Curriculum Development and Support
- Design curriculum, new course offerings, scope and sequences across Alpha’s K-12 network of schools
- Ensure K-12 teachers, instructional coaches, and school administrators are familiar with changes and updates to the Common Core State Standards as well as the Next Generation Science Standards
- Assist with the acquisition of appropriate textbooks, teacher guides and other instructional materials and equipment across the network
- Assist with budget development for the mathematics program across all network schools
- Initiate and facilitate grant applications involving math, science and technology
- Develop a comprehensive five year plan for the network in mathematics, science, engineering, and technology (K-12)
- Collaborate with other curriculum specialists to provide an integrated program and ensure alignment across Alpha’s academic model
- Assists K through 12 teachers, instructional coaches, and school administrators with improving techniques of mathematics, science, and technology instruction and improving overall student achievement. Collaborate with the Personalized Learning Manager, as needed
- Participate in instructional walkthroughs to observe the implementation of the STEM curriculum and instructional strategies that drives highly-personalized teaching and learning for all students
- Develop and facilitate professional development to Alpha staff that supports Alpha’s STEM model
- Develop a STEM playbook for each course across Alpha’s K-12 network of schools
- Manage the implementation of a variety of instructional techniques and teaching strategies to meet different aptitudes and interests of students, including whole group (co-teaching)/small-group or individual/personalized learning
Assessment and Data Support
- Determine the appropriate metrics to assist with the overall evaluation of Alpha’s STEM programs across the network
- Develop rigorous, standards-aligned STEM benchmark assessment tools for all K-12 schools across all grade levels and courses
- Collect, analyze, and utilize STEM data to drive instructional priorities and strategies
- Lead the execution of all local and state STEM assessments across K-12 grade levels.
- Keep parents, administrators and community citizens informed about STEM programs within the Alpha network
DRIVEN: Alpha staff members have a sustained commitment to the school and workplace that demonstrates persistence and drive to complete a job.
ENTREPRENEURIAL: Alpha staff members demonstrate risk taking, innovation, self-confidence, and the ability to push oneself beyond one’s comfort zone.
RELATIONSHIP BUILDER: Alpha staff members demonstrate how they have leveraged relationships to improve outcomes for students and will develop strong relationships with Alpha students, families, and staff
FLEXIBLE: Alpha staff members adapt to meet the needs of the organization and a startup work environment
- BA (required), MA (a plus)
- K-12 teaching experience (required)
- 3+ years of work experience
- Highly collaborative style; experience developing and implementing communications strategies
- Stellar interpersonal and communications skills
- Excellent project and process management skills, writing skills and attention to detail
- Relationship builder with the flexibility and finesse to "manage by influence"
Apply to work at Alpha:
Please submit your application online [INSERT GH LINK]
- A cover letter
Incomplete applications or those with errors will not be considered. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability. We are strongly committed to hiring a diverse and multicultural staff and encourage applications from traditionally underrepresented backgrounds.