Freshly is seeking an experienced: Director of Research & Development
We’re looking for a Research and Development Director that is responsible for leading efforts involved in new product and process development and improvements with direct responsibility for some projects. This position initiates, evaluates plans, directs, executes, implements, and reports on activities related to the development of new processes, improvements or cost savings ideas. This position carries with it the responsibility to mentor team members and grow their capabilities for contributing to the organization while coordinating and managing the efforts of the R&D team.
· Establish goals, KPIs and road maps for success with the R&D Team
· Assist R&D team on portions of project to ensure completion of the department's high priority projects and critical non-project work
· Coordinate with Product Team to ensure variety, scheduling and launch of new products
· Coordinate with Marketing product samples for photography
· Act as a technical consultant to all Quality Assurance, Operations, and Food Safety and all other operational departments
· Evaluate and make recommendations concerning the application of new ingredient / processing technologies and equipment
· Fully investigate, develop, and present alternatives for implementation of processes, procedures and cost savings
· Develop and maintain project plans, identifying critical paths and resources required
· Establish testing parameters for shelf life studies with QA Director and Director of Food Technology
· Coordinate trials with Operations personnel to minimize impact on production
· With Supply Chain personnel, evaluate potential new ingredients, co-packers and packaging suppliers to ensure they meet the company’s requirements for raw material supplies
Manage the label approval process for accuracy and regulatory compliance
Supervise the activities of the R&D Team in the performance of their activities via product development pipeline process
Coordinate with product team needs for prototype sampling and evaluation and/or sensory testing
· Direct R&D project activity, developing new product formulas and product specifications in concert with company’s policies and philosophy
Monitor the activities of Culinary Assurance Team in validating operational parameters for process controls within production environment
· Perform all other duties and special projects as assigned
· Master's degree in Food Science, Quality, Microbiology, or related field is required
High level of computer proficiency
· 5-7+ years of Product Development, R&D experience inclusive of shelf life testing, nutritional testing- From Concept to Commercialization
· Manufacturing experience in Ready to Eat Foods preferred
· Strong business acumen and demonstrate business knowledge by leading discussion and direction on project work with the organization and determining effects of department work on total financial picture
· Ability to work collaboratively with other departments
· Ability to work with a high level of autonomy
· Extensive knowledge of FDA and USDA-FSIS regulations as they pertain to fully cooked foods is preferred
· Plant and Office Environment, Travel Required
Comprehensive benefits package including Medical, HSA, Dental, Vision and 401(k)
At FRESHLY, we’re pioneering the most convenient way for people to eat healthy, delicious, ready-made meals. We work hard with talented chefs to make it unbelievably easy for our customers to trust that their meals will always be mouthwateringly tasty and crafted with the highest quality ingredients — while also making their day a lot lighter! Headquartered in New York, FRESHLY believes in democratizing access to their own personal chef. We’re looking to invest in total stars who believe in what we’re doing and think they could be a pivotal ingredient to our success.
Here's some recent chatter about us:
Forbes - Food Still Hot: Why Investors Bet $21 Million On Freshly's Three-Minute Meals
Inc - This Startup Just Proved the Meal Delivery Business Hasn't Spoiled Yet
Freshly Featured on CNBC's Squawk Box- "Hot Startups to look for in 2016"
We pride ourselves on our fast-paced and fun environment and above all value transparency, communication, and collaboration. We are always learning, growing, and taking risks – if this sounds like an environment where you would thrive, we’d love to hear from you!
This job opening has been filled or removed by the company.
Try one of the other jobs at Freshly.