Checkr provides modern and compliant background checks for global enterprises and startups. Since graduating Y-Combinator in 2014, Checkr’s product has shifted the on-demand economy. More than 3,000 businesses trust Checkr for their background screenings including Uber, Instacart, Handy, Zenefits, GrubHub, Caviar, and more. Checkr is featured on Business Insider as one of the top startups to watch in 2016 (http://www.businessinsider.com/the-25-hottest-san-francisco-startups-to-watch-in-2016-2016-1). A career with Checkr provides the opportunity to make an impact on the professional lives of millions of people.
We are looking for a motivated and experienced attorney with a strong technology transactional background to join our dynamic legal team. As the Senior Legal Counsel, you will report to Checkr’s General Counsel and partner with our sales and business development teams to draft, negotiate and review complex contracts and commercial partnership agreements. You will interact with internal clients at every level of the company and also work closely with our compliance team to advise on legal, regulatory and compliance issues. While this is a highly collaborative, flexible, and fun environment, we are looking for a self-starting problem-solver who can work collaboratively and autonomously and roll up their sleeves when necessary to get the job done.
- Structure, review, draft and negotiate a variety of commercial agreements, including customer sales agreements, commercial partnership agreements, and services agreements.
- Develop, improve and maintain contract templates, standard forms, corporate policies and processes, and training programs.
- Build and manage processes and workflows that can scale to keep up with our fast growth.
- Research and analyze laws that affect the company, including the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
- Counsel internal clients on the business implications of FCRA and other applicable laws and assist in the development of compliance policies, procedures, training, and risk mitigation strategies
- Contribute to cross-functional teams as a trusted advisor, creative problem-solver and strategic thinker.
- Advise on projects as needed, including general corporate, HR, IP, litigation, vendor relationship and risk management issues, as well as assisting with the management of external counsel.
- JD degree and a member in good standing of the California Bar
- 7+ years of relevant experience, ideally as in-house counsel in a high-growth technology company
- Top-notch expertise in structuring, drafting and negotiating a wide variety of commercial contracts
- Pragmatic strategist who can identify and resolve legal issues in the context of the company’s commercial goals and risk thresholds
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Flexible and able to organize, prioritize and complete multiple priorities and projects (internally and externally) in a fast-paced environment
- Collaborative team player with excellent interpersonal skills and a good sense of humor
- Ability to learn quickly and take on challenging new projects with enthusiasm
- Knowledge of applicable laws/regulations in consumer protection and FCRA is a plus, but not required. Must be open and willing to build FCRA and other applicable law expertise.
All Checkr employees enjoy the following:
- 100% medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Unlimited PTO policy
- Gym membership and commuter benefits
- Catered lunch, dinner, and snacks
Diversity at Checkr
Checkr is committed to hiring talent from diverse groups and fostering a culture that honors gender and ethnicity in tech, non-tech, and leadership roles. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.