We are seeking an ambitious Research Intern to improve our natural gas market intelligence products that combine proprietary and publicly available market data. This position will specifically focus on Mexican natural gas and power markets and their evolving interplay with U.S. gas and power fundamentals. Mexican energy markets are undergoing radical transformation resulting from market reforms and liberalization. While this poses many opportunities for market participants, data that explains market fundamentals is limited. Our objective is to utilize public and proprietary sources and modelling to enhance transparency. If you are interested in a career in energy, interested in learning about Natural Gas Market Fundamentals and looking for an internship that will offer tremendous exposure to this field, then read more below...
A typical day in the life of Research Intern at Genscape will include the following:
- Acquiring, cataloguing, maintaining, and interpreting natural gas and power market data.
- Carrying out analysis to understand market fundamentals.
- Your focus will primarily be on US and Mexican natural gas and power markets but you will likely get some exposure to other markets such as power generation, manufacturing, finance, and more.
- You will have the opportunity to learn what the data represents, its market importance, and how to best utilize this information to serve a customer base focused on a wide breadth of natural gas market activities around the world, from production and consumption, to trading and marketing and commodity shipping and tracking.
- If you’re an ambitious candidate, you should view this as an opportunity that will allow you to develop fundamental market knowledge and experience for a career in the energy industry and/or commodity trading.
This job might be for you if:
- You are currently pursuing or recently completed a 4 year Bachelor's degree or international equivalent.
- You have excellent written and oral communication skills
- You can demonstrate a strong initiative
- You have an interest in the Energy Markets
- You can work your away around an Excel spreadsheet (and all other MS Office programs)
- You have had some exposure to the basic macro-economic fundamentals
- You like detail
- You are comfortable initiating and maintaining dialogue with industry professionals via phone, email, IM and in-person meetings
- You MUST have a strong curiosity for the subject matter at hand that will generate new ideas for additional research and product development
- Big Data doesn’t scare you
- You are an efficient researcher of content documents on the internet
- You pride yourself in using unique approaches to finding specific data
- Spanish language. Must be conversant in Spanish; capable of reading/interpreting technical documents; and capable of composing emails in Spanish.
- Statistical modelling. Must be capable of running regression and correlation analysis and familiarity with different projection and forecasting methodologies.
- Economic principles. Must have basic understanding of macro-economic principles, namely supply and demand fundamentals and how they can influence commodity prices.
- Professional demeanor. Must be comfortable making unsolicited contact (phone, email, instant messenger, in-person) with market participants to gather market intelligence.
- Detail oriented. Must maintain meticulous notes on data sources, validation methods, and data accuracy.
It would also be great if you have:
- Familiarity and proficiency with Excel, databases and mapping programs such as QGIS
- Prior experience working in a professional environment
- Prior exposure to and/or interest in commodity (particularly energy) markets
- Prior exposure to and/or interest in regulatory and trade policy
- Prior exposure to and/or interest in currency markets and valuation.
Once you land this position, you’ll get to enjoy:
- A fun, fast paced, entrepreneurial environment
- The opportunity to learn about what moves the energy markets and price fluctuations
- A challenging, hands on project that will have an impact on the business
- Competitive hourly compensation
- Flexible hours
- Awesome office location with multiple perks!
- The opportunity to launch your career