New York Public Radio and its main properties, WNYC and WQXR, have been engaging the hearts and minds of generations of radio listeners in New York and around the country for generations. To re-invent that tradition and reach a new generation of listeners we’re transforming the curation, discovery and delivery of audio across digital platforms.
NYPR is the home of stations WNYC and WQXR and a growing number of shows including Radiolab, Freakonomics Radio, On the Media, Here’s the Thing with Alec Baldwin, Death, Sex & Money and Note to Self. Our work attracts a growing audience of listeners around the world, and our digital listening and fundraising technology platforms are expanding to keep pace. New York Public Radio's digital transformation is only beginning and we want you to join the team leading it.
About the Position:
New York Public Radio (NYPR) seeks a Director of Digital Technology with proven skills as a team leader and a passion for public media, new technologies, and our mission to engage our audience across new and emerging platforms. This position is the chief architect for New York Public Radio’s web and mobile applications. The role also responsible for the technical direction of the digital engineering team and their work developing and maintaining NYPR’s web and mobile applications as well as their related services, systems and infrastructure including content management, digital fundraising, and data related technologies including analytics, data warehousing and personalization.
- Lead our technology team in planning, architecting and developing a scalable and robust architecture for NYPR’s sites and apps; turn business and product requirements into tools that solve problems;
- Manage the technology roadmap, with a focus on extending or enhancing our services and capabilities to meet future product and business needs
- Lead the continued development & maintenance of NYPR’s websites and apps as well as the components, services and systems that power it, including but not limited to content management, digital fundraising, identity management, data warehousing and personalization.
- Manage and mentor both back-end and front-end developers on development, design, and architecture best practices
- On an as needed basis, take a hands on role in the design, developement, deployment and maintenance of our software.
- Collaborate with product, UX and project leaders on new development projects throughout the entire software development lifecycle, including requirements, design, development, testing, release and maintenance
- Consult and collaborate with product, editorial and operations teams to create the most effective content delivery systems, tools and applications, needed to tell stories and engage our audiences.
- Maintain awareness of industry trends and competitive landscape such as: design, content, community, user interfaces, information architecture of public broadcasting and other media, music and news and information websites
- Communicate about technical capabilities with management and internal clients
- Direct systems administration, development operations and manage the development toolset to ensure operational performance and team productivity.
- Develop and maintain technical documentation on applications, processes and workflow
- In collaboration with the digital operations team, using Agile and similar development methodologies, take leadership role in maximizing development workflow with the goal of enabling team productivity as well as delivery of product roadmap on time and on budget
- Ability to work extended hours as needed, including some evenings and weekends, and to be on-call for emergencies is a requirement
- Work on special projects and other duties as assigned
- Bachelor's degree required
- Requires minimum of five years professional experience in software development, preferably as a technical director, architect or development manager.
- Experience managing and architecting a modern web architecture with multiple systems including but not limited to content management, data warehousing, e-commerce, personalization and search.
- A strong ability to teach oneself new skills with minimal hand-holding
- Requires ability to successfully manage multiple priorities and to navigate demands of associates with competing needs
- Excellent communication skills—both oral and written—with an impressive reputation for building and maintaining relationships with both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Requires the intellectual and emotional depth, maturity, self-confidence and interpersonal skills to work effectively and/or interact with the other digital staff, executives at NYPR, colleagues and vendors as needed
Note: The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees, and are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the employer.
To apply for this opportunity, please submit a cover letter, and resume.
New York Public Radio must receive all information requested in order to consider your candidacy.
Due to the high volume of responses, we are unable to reply to every submission, and only candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
New York Public Radio is an Equal Opportunity Employer and invites and encourages qualified applicants from all walks of life.