Whistle was born out of our love for pets. As the world’s first technology company dedicated to helping pets live longer and happier lives, we build solutions for common problems faced by pet parents everywhere. Whether a pet is an escape artist, an avid adventurer or a happy couch potato, Whistle provides information and insights to help ensure both pets and their people stay healthy and happy for years to come.
Our current market-leading products include a cellular-enabled GPS tracker and a WiFi & Bluetooth-enabled activity monitor. We do all design and development in-house, from PCB design to embedded software, data analytics to mobile apps. Our pack thrives on solving hard problems in nimble teams.
Backed by the largest petcare company in the world, Whistle is positioned for growth as we continue to evolve our product offerings and add to our very dynamic team. If you believe you have what it takes to work in a highly independent, fast-paced environment where teamwork is critical and flexibility is a must, then Whistle might be the place for you.
Whistle currently seeks our first Site Reliability Engineer (SRE) to help us build and optimize the services that help us keep pets healthy and safe. As an SRE at Whistle, you’ll work with your peers on the infrastructure team and the core engineering team to ensure that Whistle’s services stay performant, reliable and scalable. Performance is everyone’s responsibility, but SREs bring the practices and expertise to make it a center of excellence for the company. The ideal candidate brings a passion for writing and optimizing code in a variety of languages in an environment where every day brings new challenges.
- Work with the infrastructure team to design, build and optimize services at scale
- Work closely with the core engineering team to ensure that code is designed with scalability in mind
- Develop tools to monitor our services, and use that data to optimize key bottlenecks
- Debug production issues across services and stacks
- Participate in an on-call rotation and be available for escalations
Here's what we're looking for in a strong candidate:
- 3+ years of experience operating or working with large-scale production systems
- Expertise in Ruby on Rails or NodeJS, and an ability to pick up new languages and frameworks
- Familiarity tuning databases like Postgres, DynamoDB, and Redis
- Background in performance optimization techniques with Ruby on Rails and NodeJS
- Troubleshooting skills across a variety of systems (e.g.: Linux, TCP/IP, SSL) and languages
- Experience with AWS and Hashicorp tools like Terraform and Consul
- Passion for writing clean, maintainable code
We don't just reward in kibble. Here's what we're offering:
- Competitive salary, health/dental/vision benefits, and 401K options.
- Dog-friendly office and lots of opportunity to use our product of course :).
- Commuter benefits.
- Unlimited vacation so you can relax and recharge when you need it.
- Fully stocked kitchen with snacks and drinks, and lunch catered daily.
- Monthly and quarterly company and team events.
- Want to speak or attend an industry-related conference? Go for it! We'll cover the costs.
Whistle is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
This job opening has been filled or removed by the company.
Try one of the other jobs at Whistle.