Our mission is to make biology easier to engineer. Ginkgo is constructing, editing, and redesigning the living world in order to answer the globe’s growing challenges in health, energy, food, materials, and more. Our bioengineers make use of an in-house automated foundry for designing and building new organisms. Today, our foundry is developing over 40 different organisms to make different products across multiple industries.
We are looking for a passionate, like-minded individual to manage our labs. We want to transform genetic engineering into an integrated, industrialized technology pipeline, and our labs are the center of our work. We have launched multiple foundries for engineering organisms containing custom CAD/CAM software, robotic automation, the latest genetic and genome engineering tools, high resolution LC-MS, automated fermentation, and much more. To manage the home for all of this incredible technology, you will need to balance a thoughtful attention to detail with an unflappable tolerance for chaos. We need you to not only keep our foundry running as we constantly innovate our science, but also develop and execute on a vision for the future of our laboratories.
As Lab Manager, you will be critical to the success of our foundry and organism engineers. If you are up for a challenge in a fast-paced company, apply now!
- Manage and be an active, hands-on member of the lab services team that handles media prep, glasswash, and lab supply preparation
- Oversee and manage the changing needs of the lab services group as Ginkgo grows and brings on new people
- Develop and deploy solutions for media and lab supply preparation
- Maintain the overall cleanliness and appearance of the labs
- Assist equipment manager with the procurement, setup, and servicing of lab equipment
- Manage relationships with contractors and vendors as needed
- BS or BA in a laboratory-related field
- 5+ years lab management experience
- Prior people management experience
- Strong problem solving abilities, customer service mindset, and excellent communication skills
- Experience with automated laboratory equipment a plus
To learn more about Ginkgo, check out some recent press:
We also feel it’s important to point out the obvious here – there’s a serious lack of diversity in our industry and it needs to change. Our goal is to help drive that change. We hope to continue to build a company whose culture promotes inclusion and embraces how rewarding it is to work with engineers from all walks of life. Making biology easier to engineer is a tough nut to crack – we can’t afford to leave any talent untapped.
It is the policy of Ginkgo Bioworks to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants.