About the Organization
Code2040 is a nonprofit organization that creates pathways to educational, professional, and entrepreneurial success in technology for underrepresented minorities with a specific focus on Blacks and Latino/as. Code2040 aims to close the achievement, skills, and wealth gaps in the United States. Our goal is to ensure that by the year 2040 - when the US will be majority-minority - Blacks and Latino/as are proportionally represented in America's innovation economy as technologists, investors, thought leaders, and entrepreneurs.
About the Role
The Director, Marketing and Communications is a newly created position at Code2040 working as part of the organization’s leadership team. We’re seeking a leader who is excited about developing a programmatic approach to marketing and communications; both driving strategy and executing on a vision while also serving as the main content provider for internal teams.
The Director will build a marketing and communications team that keeps its ear to the ground, translating what it hears into content while simultaneously pushing content out. The team will be built to serve the marketing needs of Code2040’s program and administrative teams, creating content and serving as the liaison to press and main conduit to share Code2040’s learnings.
This role will report to the Chief Operating Officer and supervise the Communications Assistant.
- Develop and execute a strategy to amplify the CODE2040 mission, philosophy and practical learnings through earned and owned media
- Create fertile ground for CODE2040 to thrive by shaping the narrative about diversity in tech and our contributions that paves the way for CODE2040 to fully realize our mission and enables our staff to maximize the impact of our programs
- Develop an umbrella organizational communication strategy — as well as channel strategies for social media, Medium site, speaking engagements, earned media outlets, contributed bylines etc. — to support CODE2040’s strategic plan and business goals.
- Manage the communications assistant to execute on this strategy via managing social media channels, creating content, managing an editorial calendar, etc. and to develop his or her skills in these areas.
- Pursue strategic, proactive media and speaking opportunities that reach new audiences and build awareness of CODE2040’ mission and expands our community of supporters in line with CODE2040’s organizational goals
- As part of a larger strategy to capitalize on media opportunities, develop selection criteria to help evaluate inbound opportunities, and act as the first line of defense when prioritizing these requests.
- Set and measure quarterly metrics that evaluate the quantity, quality and reach of coverage.
- Empower CODE2040 representatives to be powerful advocates for the organization and the mission
- Partner with the team leads to develop cohesive, comprehensive messaging for each program, as well as for the organization at large.
- Ensure all CODE2040 employees are able to speak confidently on behalf of the organization by developing trainings, provide media coaching, and facilitate opportunities for practice/improvement.
- Create collateral that meets internal team needs and can be easily manipulated for staff’s use to communicate about our dynamic programming and learnings to various audiences
- Amplify the learnings; build the community
- Increase our community of supporters and advocates and invest them in CODE2040 by developing an understanding of our varied target audiences (donors, potential participants, partner agencies) and shape compelling stories and other demonstrations of impact that speak to those audiences
- Develop strategies to facilitate our staff, participants, and company partner’s dialogue about the real barriers and challenges to diversity in the tech industry
- Find and facilitate media opportunities for our company partners to share their stories of what’s worked, what’s been challenging and what they’ve learned along the way.
- Repurpose content from these events in the form of video content, social media posts, Medium posts, etc.
- Elevate the images of young, black and brown technologists to change the public face of what it means to be young and successful in tech.
- Build an award-winning content program
- Create unique, solutions-oriented content for CODE2040’s Medium that includes sharing the perspectives and learnings from thought leaders in the space (at top tech companies, other diversity organizations, etc.) .
- Support staff and program participants in their writing by developing an editorial calendar, and partnering with staff in creating and editing content.
- Own, maintain, and align all content with CODE2040’s branding; create and maintain style standards for the way we write, post, and talk about ourselves externally.
- Write regular Medium posts for CODE2040 both as the Director and on behalf of other CODE2040 staff.
- Ghost write bylines on behalf of various CODE2040 staff, and participants EIRs and Fellows to be placed in top tier media outlets.
The Tangible and Intangible Benefits of Working at Code2040
- You will receive generous benefits including, but not limited to, health insurance, commuter benefits, and a generous list of holidays, vacation, and leave.
- You will be a key member of a growing team of passionate people who are results-oriented, respect and value diverse ideas and truths, and who balance hard work with humor and connection.
- You will gain access to a robust, exciting network of people across the innovation economy.
- You will work in San Francisco, a vibrant city full of diverse history, culture, and nearby recreation
Salary will be commensurate with experience.