The Wikimedia Foundation is looking for an experienced and hands-on Senior/Lead UX Designer to help build features that enable our communities to achieve our Vision: a world in which every single human being can freely share in the sum of all knowledge.
UX Designers at Wikipedia design and build features, products and services used by hundreds of millions of people around the world every day. This is an opportunity to ‘do good’ while having a high level of impact at a large-scale media property.
You will join the Discovery Department, where we focus on improving the searchability and visibility of content that already exists on Wikipedia and our sister projects. You’ll be supporting teams that work on exciting open source technologies, such as ElasticSearch, OpenStreetMaps, and Wikidata Query Service. These teams are working on ambitious projects that are transforming the way users find and interact with Wikipedia.
The Wikimedia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We also welcome remote and international applicants across all timezones.
As a Senior/Lead UX Designer, we’d like you to do these things:
- Provide technical and personnel management and leadership for a team of 2 designers including hiring, personal development, goal-setting and general support.
- Mentor junior designers on all aspects of UX design
- Create experiences that go beyond good design into delighting users.
- See features through, from idea on paper to implementation. Work with designers, developers, community members, and product managers to help drive product roadmaps with your ideas.
- Work with our growing team of designers to create reusable design patterns which span desktop, tablet and phone.
- Be passionate about content discovery and all its aspects, from search, to maps, to complex query engines.
- Interact with our reader and editor communities from the beginning to end of your design process. Be active in soliciting feedback from both internal and external stakeholders.
- Distill complex concepts into easy to understand talking points to effectively articulate your vision with your team and the community. Illustrate your designs with lightweight specs or living documents to engage with developers.
- Occasionally provide design-related support for other functional teams. Mentor junior designers and share knowledge with non-design staff to raise the overall level of design fluency within the organization.
- Have a creative vision of your own while being able to work within the bounds of what is possible, and imagine what can come next.
- Reduce, simplify, distill. Know how to let go. Create experiences that are effortless for users by reducing UI complexity down to its essential components.
We’d like you to have these skills:
The right person is better than the right set of experiences, these are the traits we’ve identified make great additions to our team so far.
- At least four years of experience solving complex product design problems, knowing when to borrow, copy, and remix, knowing when to reinvent.
- Minimum of 1-2 years of leadership experience as a design manager, lead or similar responsibility
- The ability to tell stories that convey your design goals both internally to team members and to stakeholders.
- The ability to prototype your designs in working code, using HTML5, CSS, and modern web standards.
- Comfort backing up your instincts with data, by conducting design research around your choices.
- Experience successfully defining a long term design direction for a product.
- Knowledge and experience around when to switch from blue sky ideation to tactical thinking. Be able to deliver effective, constructive critique, and to listen and accept design criticism.
- Bachelor's degree in a related field
And it would be even more awesome if you have this:
In addition to the basic skills needed for being successful these skills could set you apart from the pack!
- Experience acting as researcher, both in-person and with remote participants.
- Go beyond wireframes to pixel level design. Create and utilize visual design patterns to finish out your features.
- Have familiarity with Free and Open Source communities.
- Bring you designs to life with motion design. Create functional animation that seamlessly teaches as well as delights.
- Speak more than one of the 286 languages of the users you’ll be designing for.
We'd like to see your work! Here are a few things you'll need:
- Resume and/or LinkedIn profile
- A design portfolio of recent work that shows process as well as finished products, links to projects you’ve worked on out in the wild. Application without portfolios cannot be considered.
- A cover letter, introducing yourself and explaining why you believe you are a good fit for this role.
- Anything else that will let us know more about who you are, WMF project user name, your blog, instagram, dribbble, Twitter, github etc.
About the Wikimedia Foundation
The Wikimedia Foundation is the non-profit organization that supports and hosts Wikipedia and its sister free knowledge sites. Wikipedia consists of nearly 40 million articles across hundreds of languages. Every month, more than 80,000 volunteer editors contribute to Wikipedia. Based in San Francisco, California, the Wikimedia Foundation is an audited, 501(c)(3) non-profit that is funded primarily through donations and grants. It currently employs over 240 staff members.
At the Foundation, we build technology to help people everywhere access Wikipedia, across devices and in nearly 300 languages. We engineer privacy for our readers and editors so they can safely and securely explore Wikipedia. We create programs and initiatives to make Wikipedia freely available to more people in more parts of the world. We build new tools for the community of editors so they can continue to improve and grow Wikipedia. Roughly a quarter of our budget goes to supporting the community that make the site possible, including through grantmaking programs that enable volunteers and enrich the information on the sites.
The Wikimedia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply.
Benefits & Perks *
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, massages, cooking classes and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off - vacation, sick and volunteer days
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Great colleagues - diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
* for benefits eligible staff, benefits may vary by location