Build systems, develop materials and scale our processes to production.
Sila Nanotechnologies seeks a flexible, diligent, and hands on process engineer to help make the next generation of battery materials. You will research first principles, experiment with materials, design processes, build fixtures, qualify tools, and test recipes to bridge pilot scale development and commercial production. Understanding the interplay between materials science, process design, equipment operation and device performance is key. Secondary projects to grow the organization will supplement your core work.
- Sustain and evolve a process step for which you have primary responsibility
- Design, develop, implement and validate novel scaled product synthesis methods
- Plan and execute experiments and perform process calculations
- Design & test processes for flexibility, performance, OpEx etc.
- Produce clear and detailed design documents
- Research, recommend, and qualify capital equipment
- Design for, work within and disseminate industrial best practices
- Analyze and present data to create understanding and deliver actionable information
- ChE, ME or Physics skills with 8+ (B.S.) or 5+ (M.S./Ph.D.) years experience
- Success designing, developing and integrating process equipment into production
- Understand equipment: wiring, mechanics, and instrument operation
- Be a conscientious, curious, and a deliberate thinker/actor
- Desire to work with/for a team and ability to solve problems alone
Good to have
- Proficiency with statistical process control
- Knowledge of vacuum and thermal systems operation
- Materials science and engineering R&D experience
We design and produce engineered materials that dramatically increase the energy density of rechargeable Li-ion batteries. Our products enable smaller, lighter, longer lasting electronic devices and unlock mass adoption of affordable, long-range electric vehicles. Our developments represent the next commercial breakthrough in battery science - only the fifth in over 150 years of battery history.
Sila was founded in 2011 and is based in Alameda, CA. Our founders are two early Tesla Motors battery engineers and a Professor of Materials Science at Georgia Tech. We’re backed by Tier 1 venture capital firms, led by Sutter Hill Ventures, Matrix Partners, Bessemer Venture Partners, and In-Q-Tel.
Our company culture is built on personal growth, mutual trust, inclusiveness, and safety. We are dedicated to building a world-class materials company, where our team is close, debates are data-driven, and our office puppies are named Angstrom, Lumen, Gadget, and Miso.