At OnDeck, we improve the world’s economic landscape by changing the way small businesses access capital. We do it in an environment where we celebrate collaboration, but aren’t afraid of healthy competition; where we’re serious about our work but don’t take ourselves too seriously; and where we are small enough to be nimble but strong enough to make a big impact.
Want to dig in deep to uncover customer needs, envision, and create valuable solutions for them? Want to be empowered to get feedback and validate solutions with customers? Want to be part of an inspired and talented cross-functional team? Read on.
The OnDeck Experience Strategy & Design team uses a human-centered approach to understand customer and internal team member needs through qualitative and quantitative insights, co-designs the experiences that we want people to have, and delivers valuable, end-to-end experiences.
As a Lead Experience Designer at OnDeck, you will:
- Lead initiatives with minimal direction.
- Be a champion for user-centered design. Advocate for and find ways to include the voice of the customer throughout the product development process—from insights to ideas and concept to launch.
- Be a seamless part of a blended, cross-functional team. Collaborate closely and build relationships with product owners, strategists, researchers, engineers throughout the process.
- Participate in research initiatives and collaborate on drafting research plans and surveys, writing research screeners, conducting interviews and compiling research results.
- Communicate insights and reasoning through personas, experience maps, experience visions, and service blueprints.
- Clearly communicate and defend design decisions that drive quality user experience. Balance the needs of the business and the capabilities of technology. Negotiate effectively with others on the team.
- Lead workshops, concept sprints and hackathons to inject design thinking tools and methodologies to generate results in a rapid and iterative way.
- Create visualizations of the experiences we intend to create for prototyping, piloting and production.
- Create interaction models, user task flows, screen designs, and UI details that promote ease of use and optimize task flows.
- Understand system design—how to apply a design library language.
- Validate solutions through user feedback and usability testing, consolidate findings and iterate feedback into design solutions.
- Estimate efforts and know when to ask for support.
- Share your knowledge with other OnDeck team members. Create learning moments and events that raise the bar for the entire organization and helps us work in more innovative and collaborative ways.
- For Strategy Focus Leads:
- Facilitate qualitative and quantitative research and testing to identify opportunities and uncover untapped needs.
- Plan research initiatives and design research protocols and materials.
- Manage participant recruitment, when necessary.
- Develop processes that make research options efficient for our team members.
- Support other team members in designing and facilitating research initiatives. Serve as a mentor to other OnDeck team members to help them become better user-centered, design thinking strategists.
- For Implementation Focus Leads:
- Visualize complex sets of data in ways that are easy to comprehend.
- Regularly deliver feedback for less senior designers on visual and interaction design. Serve as quality control on all design deliverables.
- Serve as a mentor and support their growth as designers. Push their limits.
- Develop extensible guides and systems that can be leveraged throughout the organization to speed design and development efforts.
- Get buy in and drive change that addresses inefficiencies in our ideation and production workflow.
- Work with marketing leaders to push and extend the brand design in every channel.
- Work closely with development teams to ensure that design specifications are implemented. Serve as quality control for visual design implementation.
Necessary qualifications for success:
- Undergraduate degree in Interaction Design, Interface Design, Human Computer Interaction, Service Design, (Graphic) Design with emphasis on UX or equivalent qualification.
- 8+ years experience designing applications, experiences, websites, products and services that balance user needs, business objectives and technological constraints.
- Ridiculous attention to detail.
- Holistic and human-centered approach to product and service design, from research and insight generation to concept to deliverable.
- Expert interaction and visual design skills. Proven experience designing for web and mobile applications.
- Knowledge of Sketch, InVision, Adobe Creative Suite or other tools for generating low-fidelty and high-fidelity prototypes.
- Ability to iterate your designs and solutions efficiently and intelligently.
- Strong listening, speaking, and writing skills. Ability to clearly and effectively articulate your design decisions and design processes.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Successful track record leading interdisciplinary teams in creating great products, with proven skills in mentoring, presenting, client partnership and visual communication. Be excited about collaborating and communicating closely with teams and other stakeholders.
- Respectful communication style when challenging assumptions and graceful style when receiving feedback.
- Willingness to help teammates, share knowledge and experience with them, and learn from them.
- Can estimate work, commit and deliver on deadlines and are vocal when risk arise.
Nice-to-haves (not required):
- Knowledge of native and mobile design considerations, across operating systems.
- Experience with Agile software development processes and methodologies.
- Editing and proofreading skills are a huge bonus.
- Connected to the design community with a passion for design.
We’re all about teamwork, passion and making an impact. Oh and having fun – Whether it’s community service events, book club meetings, team get-togethers or weekly social hours in the office.
OnDeck is the leader in online small business lending. Since 2007, the company has powered Main Street’s growth through advanced lending technology and a constant dedication to customer service. To date, the company has deployed over $5 billion to more than 50,000 customers in 700 different industries across the United States, Canada and Australia.
In addition to our great benefits: https://www.ondeck.com/company/careers/
We also offer…
401K Match. Tuition Reimbursement. Paid Parental Leave. Company Outings. Hackathons. Company Sponsored Sports Teams/Clubs. Discounted Gym Membership. Office Learning & Development Training.
We are going to ask you to talk about your accomplishments. Here are some of ours:
- WorldatWork, 2017 Seal of Distinction
- Fortune 50 Best Small and Medium Companies to Work For, 2016
- Fortune 30 Best Workplaces in Finance and Insurance, 2016
- Fortune/Great Place To Work Great Rated! People’s Picks: 20 Great Workplaces in Financial Services, 2015
- Crain’s New York Best Places to Work, 2013, 2014, 2015
As part of our dedication to maintaining an inclusive and diverse workforce, OnDeck provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, OnDeck complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
OnDeck expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of OnDeck’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
**No external recruiters or agents, please.**