Data may be the new oil, but it takes just as much refining as crude oil. Our data intelligence platform is used by over 150 leaders to make better, data-driven decisions on everything from tracking national programs to pinpointing where to open the next school, health centre or even ice cream store. However, garbage in is garbage out! Our platform runs on data, but one of our biggest challenges is the incoming data's lack of structure and internal standard practices around such diverse datasets. Every partner has a new data format and a set of new data challenges to tackle. It's critical that we move beyond these challenges so we can extract key insights from the data and deliver them to our partners.
A Data Associate at SocialCops will be responsible for data modelling, cleaning, structuring, and handling both primary and secondary data sets under the mentorship of our data scientists and economists. As a Data Associate, you will play a key role in converting a variety of messy datasets into clean and structured datasets by creating quality metadata files, running scalable R/Python scripts to model the data, and perform data validations. You will also carry data analysis, create data visualizations, and create data models to make sense of data to power critical decisions. As a Data Associate, you will play a critical role in ensuring that the sanity and quality of decisions made on our platform. With great power comes great responsibility :)
Interested, but not ready to apply just yet? Sign up
for updates from our team, and we'll keep you updated about how we're growing and tell you about future opportunities as they come up!
- Data ingestion: Use our internal tools or Python libraries to ingest various datasets into the SocialCops ecosystem.
- Understand complexities in data reporting: Gather information on the division of administrative structures and their impact on data structures and reporting (eg: Complex district boundaries of India) to create scalable frameworks of working with different types of data.
- Data quality checks: You will test the data quality of primary data collected using our mobile-based data collection product, Collect, and other data sources to ensure that the numbers don't lie.
- Data Exploration: Use statistical methods to analyze and find trends or correlations in the data.
- Data Wrangling: Use R and Python to structure data and help maintain automated data streams. Employ internal frameworks or create new frameworks to clean data for any given analysis.
- Creating & maintaining data pipelines: Creating ETL pipelines to create data streams and update dynamic visualizations.
- Data visualization: Help build customized dashboards for our partners using SocialCops' internal tools.
- Share your learnings: Contribute to analysis, research briefs, blog posts and ebooks created by SocialCops.
- Take up any challenge: In a small team, you will work closely with various stakeholders and lend your hand wherever it is necessary to get stuff done!
- Solid on basics: You have strong understating of the basics of data science, and statistics. You don't fear to deal with large amounts of data or running a few regressions or creating indices.
- Experienced: You have 1-2 years of prior experience in handling data cleaning, data structuring, data analysis, data visualization, etc.
- Entrepreneurial: You believe in figuring out problems, solving them and confronting, not just finding, challenges.
- First Principles Thinker. You break down a problem into its logical components and figure out which ones to prioritize.
- Systems Thinker: You are interested in understanding the interaction between a system's components, automating tasks and getting them to work at scale.
- R or Python Novice: You are experienced at writing code and using Git/Github for version control. You also realize the importance of documenting your code and knowledge sharing, through tools such as Rmarkdown or Jupyter notebooks, with team members.
SocialCops is a data intelligence company that is empowering leaders in organizations globally, including the United Nations and Unilever. Our platform powers over 150 organizations across 28 countries. As a fast-growing tech startup, SocialCops was recognized in the list of Technology Pioneers 2018 by World Economic Forum and by the New York Times in its list of 30 global visionaries. We were also part of the Google Launchpad Accelerator 2018. Aasaanjobs named SocialCops as one of the best Indian startups to work for in 2018.