Global PR and Comms Manager Job Description
Line managed by: Chief Marketing Officer
Line manager, global marketing team, executive team, local marketing leads and local PRs, UK team, MassChallenge partners, startups in MassChallenge globally, and community partners.
MassChallenge is the most startup-friendly accelerator on the planet. No equity and not-for-profit, we are obsessed with helping entrepreneurs across all industries. We also reward the highest-impact startups through a competition to win a portion of several million dollars in equity-free cash awards globally. You can watch our mission video here. Through our global network of accelerators in Boston, the UK, Israel, Switzerland, and Mexico and unrivalled access to our corporate partners, we can have a massive impact --driving growth and creating value the world over. We also work closely to help public and private entities around the world create and strengthen innovation-driven economic development. Our startups have collectively raised $1.8B in funding, generated $700M in revenue, and created 60,000 jobs. A massive economic impact.
We expect to expand to at least seven additional cities by 2020.
Purpose of the Job:
The Global PR and Comms Manager’s main role is to drive the global PR and marketing communications strategy and execution from end to end, including creation to implementation to tracking, and reporting, for the global organisation. The work of this individual will be closely integrated with the key objectives of the business and wider strategic landscape. The individual in this role will also support on local marketing initiatives as required.
Full time (40 hours per week), permanent, with a flexible approach
London or Boston
Job Description -- Global PR and Comms Manager
MassChallenge seeks an experienced PR and Comms Manager in a global role. We are looking for a someone with specialist PR skills and experience, but who also has broader communications expertise as well - a bit of a “Swiss Army knife” - someone who can do it all in marketing, be it PR and bylined content development, social media, marketing materials creation, seeking out collaborative partnerships and speaking engagements, as well as being a brand ambassador for MassChallenge in the community. Reporting to the global Chief Marketing Officer, this position comes with a lot of responsibility and opportunity for creativity to make it your own.
The position is multifaceted. In addition to interacting with internal stakeholders, agencies, and the media, the PR and Comms Manager interacts with many different external stakeholder groups:
- Partners: MassChallenge is a not-for-profit and is supported by some of the biggest brands in the world. This individual will be working on new partnership announcements and mutually beneficial cross-promotional activities, as well as working closely with the global partner team to drive leads through the funnel via PR ‘air cover’ and other marketing communications activities.
- Startups: We want to attract the best startups in the world to apply to our program. It’s important that we have someone who knows the startup world and can get the word out to startups to apply to our programmes around the world, as well as leveraging these powerful startup stories for PR and marketing.
- Experts: MassChallenge relies on mentors, judges, and investors to help our startups grow. We need to reach the right audiences to attract top experts to support and join our community.
Our ideal candidate is passionate about entrepreneurship, plugged into global media, and be creative in the approach to spreading the MassChallenge message. He or she also has the capacity to communicate with all levels of an organisation, is a team player that works well cross functionally, and is strategic when thinking about targeting key audiences and individuals.
PR and Communications Strategy and Execution
- Work with the CMO and global marketing team to develop, refine and execute MassChallenge’s PR and communications strategy, narrative, and messaging, with input from local teams.
- Act as keeper/guardian of the PR messaging and delivery - own the spokesperson matrix, train spokespeople, analyse coverage to ensure staying on message, and provide feedback; maintain official numbers of the organisation and enforce use across organization (including jobs numbers, alumni, etc.).
- Identify, manage, and build relationships with top tier business, financial, and technology editors and online influencers to build awareness and understanding of the MassChallenge story.
- Design, build and operate an influencing strategy for the Chief Executive and other execs, including a public speaking and award strategy.
- Manage pro-bono global agencies and identify new agencies who can support us, as needed.
- Execute global thought leadership strategy, including creating and placing content, building on the successful startup/corporate collaboration initiative, and developing and executing on the 2017 strategy and beyond.
- Plan for and execute core global announcements for the global accelerator calendar.
- Write and edit documents for key communications initiatives, such as the Capital Campaign, the Impact Report, and Thought Leadership Report, to name a few.
- Provide “air cover” for new markets, laying ground work for awareness and press coverage upon launch.
- Stay on top of trends in the industry, topical issues, reporters writing on areas of interest to us.
PR & Comms Activity Management
- Work across teams to ensure strategy is meeting overall business objectives, including understanding how PR interacts with other communications channels, such as website, blog, and social media.
- Work with and support local communications managers and / or agency teams to identify opportunities to position MassChallenge as a leader in the tech/accelerator space and generate well-informed and positive coverage around significant announcements and activities.
- Report regularly on KPIs for local and international markets and manage PR software.
- Create press releases and Q&A templates and PR toolkits for local markets.
- Further strengthen the personal profile of CEO and senior management via executive profiling, award nominations, and speaking opportunities.
- Check in regularly with local marketing and PR leads to coordinate activities and messaging.
Issues and Crisis Management
- Work with the CMO in advising and supporting the CEO in the event of a crisis for the industry or company.
- Create and roll out issues response, messaging, and rude Q&A to assist global and local communications managers and / or agency teams in responding consistently to media and influencer inquiries around sensitive topics .
- Act as a MassChallenge spokesperson and provide written or verbal responses to defend MassChallenge in the case of a challenging question, issue, or crisis.
Desired Skills and Experience
- At least 5 years of PR and marketing communications experience
- Comfortable going from high level strategy work to deep execution, such as programming in tweets or helping out at a registration desk at company events.
- Experience in PR and marketing campaign planning and execution
- A demonstrated track record of converting PR and communications activity into tangible, measurable impact that fit with broader goals.
- Demonstrated ability to manage consistent and integrated PR and communications campaigns on time and budget
- Existing strong connections to Tier 1 press
- Documented success in building, managing and growing meaningful relationships within entrepreneurial community in general, and media community(ies), in particular
- Highly developed analytical skills able to generate meaningful insight
- Experience with marketing automation and analytical tools (Hubspot, GA), a plus
- A friendly and professional person who is able to make connections comfortably and easily in the community
- Collaborative and communicative team player with the ability to influence down, up, and across
- Have a great attention to detail and ability to thoroughly research topics in a short amount of time as background documents
- Experience working cross-functionally and supporting across departments across different geographies
- Skilled in leveraging limited resources to create big successes
- Enjoy working in a fluid, dynamic organisation with a minimal amount of direction
Benefits of working with MassChallenge:
MassChallenge provides significant professional development and growth opportunities and access to an incredible network of innovators and entrepreneurs. Specifically, employees:
- Gain direct access to the world's highest-impact startups across all industries.
- Gain direct access to the world's best and most supportive startup resources, including top investors, corporate executives, politicians, university personnel and more.
- Learn how to optimise the growth of startups across multiple industries.
- Learn how and when startups should seek key resources and support.
At MassChallenge we are committed to your success. We're not just a company - we're a family - and we will do everything possible to make sure that you're happy!
How to Apply
- Draft a one page cover letter in which you tell us about yourself, why you want to work with startups, and why at MassChallenge in particular. Please be sure that the cover letter is no longer than 250 words.
- Please provide links to your personal LinkedIn and Twitter accounts (if public) and examples of previous work (articles, blogs, and social media accounts managed by you).
- Please provide writing samples - eg, bylined articles, blog posts, press releases, promotional material.