The WNYC Newsroom is seeking a news-minded, New York-loving producer to engage WNYC listeners across social media platforms.
To be a successful candidate, you must be innovative, possess excellent news judgment, thrive in a fast-paced, collaborative environment, follow unfolding events in the city, region, country and around the globe, have experience running social feeds, be passionate about the power of social media to drive coverage, deepen audience loyalty, and tap new audiences. You must also have creativity, flexibility, a sense of humor, poise, strong interpersonal skills, and a keen sense of place.
The Producer will work closely with the teams producing Morning Edition and All Things Considered, the Newsroom’s narrative journalism unit, the DataNews team and the editors and reporters who produce the Newsroom’s award-winning local news report. He or she will work collaboratively with peers across WNYC Local properties, including The Brian Lehrer Show, The Leonard Lopate Show and The Takeaway, and in close coordination with NYPR’s Social Media Director and the Social Media Producer for WNYC Studios.
This position reports to the Executive Editor.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Hands-on responsibility for audience building and engagement around news coverage enterprise, and narrative projects.
- Maintaining and posting on WNYC’s Twitter and Facebook feeds
- Tracking the reach and engagement of WNYC News on social media, and delivering reports on analytics.
- Implementing best practices for editors, reporters, and producers through modeling and training.
- Working closely with our Instagram and Snapchat teams to develop strategies for growing these platforms.
- Building strategies for emerging platforms and finding opportunities to launch new accounts.
- Developing social media strategies for special coverage, investigative projects, ongoing feature reporting, show content, and newscasts.
- Creating multimedia assets, including video, GIFS and interactives.
- Attending daily newsroom meetings to plan for the day and week, offering guidance on timing, cadence, and tone.
- Working closely with programming to script on-air social media call-outs for priority events.
- 2+ years of social media experience in a news organization.
- Strong writing and proofreading skills.
- Photo and video editing experience.
- Excitement for audience engagement projects and enthusiasm for understanding new methods of storytelling and promotion on social media.
- Experience planning and executing social campaigns.
- A deep understanding of and responsiveness to analytics and data.
- Exceptionally strong headline writing chops
- Expert user of Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, Instagram, Snapchat, Pinterest and most major social media platforms.
- Hands-on experience using and acting on data collected from key analytics tools such as Google Analytics, Twitter Analytics, Facebook Insights and others.
- Basic understanding of HTML and experience with content management systems a plus.