WQXR is the premier classical music radio station in the country and we’re looking for the next great member of our content team. The Assistant Producer will be a key partner in producing and maintaining content for air, online and social media. Knowledge and fluency with classical music and a drive to make it broadly relevant, accessible and entertaining will be essential. The successful candidate will come ready and enthusiastic to find creative ways of expanding the audience for classical music. Success in this position will be informed by audience metrics.
Job responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Produce a range of unique content including short feature stories, blog posts, artist interviews and profiles, guest DJ sessions, and videos that will help establish WQXR as the premier provider of classical music entertainment and information.
- Daily creation of light editorial content for sharing on the air, the WQXR website and through our social media channels that spark greater interest in classical music.
- Creation of more interactive quizzes, polls and crowd-sourced content that give classical music listeners an opportunity for greater engagement with WQXR.
- Experimenting with new podcasts and online streams that help audiences explore specific genres, composers, eras or moods
- Maintaining a more consistent and robust presence on digital platforms like YouTube and Spotify, with original videos and curated playlists
- Creation of sharable audiograms and short excerpts from archives and current projects for social media
- Packaging on-demand content for the WQXR app, including recordings from our cultural partnerships, performances in NYPR’s Jerome L. Greene Performance Space and in-studio tapings
- Produce feature segments for station pledge drives as needed.
- Coordinate with WQXR digital staff to create online build-outs for features, including copywriting for web site that will make pages on WQXR.org more interactive through polls, visual content and other digital tools.
- Knowledge and fluency with classical music.
- Demonstrated interest and enthusiasm for creating content that welcomes and excites a broad audience.
- Ability to work within a highly collaborative team.
- Excellent writing style, adaptable to radio, social and web.
- Willingness and ability to learn new skills and concepts as necessary.
- Proven ability to meet deadlines and manage several concurrent projects.
- Basic audio production and editing skills required.
- Photoshop, Final Cut and InDesign skills highly desirable.
- Conversant in online, mobile and other platforms where audiences consume music
- Understanding of Associated Press writing conventions
Other jobs at New York Public Radio