What we do:
Teachers Pay Teachers (or TpT, as we call it) is a community of millions of educators who come together to share their work, insights, and inspiration with one another. We are the first and largest open marketplace where teachers share, sell, and buy original educational resources. Our community brings immediate access to a world of expertise and offers educators more time to focus on students and teaching.
The New York Times called the phenomenon we lead “A Sharing Economy Where Teachers Win.”
Why we do it:
Our dream is to make the expertise and wisdom of all the teachers in the world available to anyone, anywhere, at any time. We believe that we can help create real good in the world by empowering the educators to teach their best.
Who we are looking for:
We modeled our company culture on the virtues of our community of teachers and we are assembling one of the most talented teams in New York. We think this article in EdSurge about sums it up.
We’re building a team of good people doing great things. We listen first. We love our work. And we are all teachers and learners in whatever we do. We believe that productivity is never an accident. It’s the result of a commitment to excellence, intelligent planning, passionate team work, and focused effort. We want every day to be fun and to matter.
TpT is seeking a leader to nurture, lead, and continue building our world-class engineering team in NYC. TpT engineering is staffed with exceptionally talented technologists. We have great engineers and leads, most with experience from top technology firms and all with deep curiosity about technology and its uses. We have just about all the know-how we need to take our amazing business and community to the next level.
Now we need an amazing leader to support, uplift, and energize the teams and help create process and an organizational model that empowers the teams to make more decisions, more quickly, and with both transparency and the maximally reasonable amount of autonomy.
We are a community of educators, so you should be an educator too. You’ll want to embrace our
“Listen First” culture and our spirit of radical sharing of ideas, best practices, and even code. You’ll help our team members grow and encourage our team members to blog about their work, to share it on social media, and at conferences.
You’ll also want to embrace building teams that are deeply accountable and responsible for their work and to our community. The teams will also not be into blaming anyone for mistakes. The team should rise and fall together, then rise again with any technical mishaps.
The visible hallmarks of a successful leader for us will be globally recognized, energized, dynamic team of engineers building great, creative products, quickly and reliably. The technology shouldn’t just work. It should sing. And the org shouldn’t just function. It should happily hum.
Build great teams. Your role is to build, lead and celebrate amazing engineers and a culture of results-driven empowerment. You’ll build a global brand for TpT Engineering and help our organization reach new heights every week.
- Hiring, Onboarding, and Retention
- Create an environment that attracts, retains, motivates and empowers top tier engineers to do their best work.
- Be a recruiter and a person people want to learn from and work with.
- Draw upon personal networks, to supplement a rigorous recruiting and development process.
- Structure & Culture
- Make TpT the destination for the world’s best engineering talent to come and work on big issues in education.
- Organize teams and engineering processes to deliver the best product while having fun and working smart.
- Scaling & Managing a Global Team
- Be adroit at managing global teams filled with talented people who have strong opinions. We have engineers in New York and Ukraine.
- Develop an environment where engineers, and their managers are supported and mentored to greater heights and scale on their own.
Impact through technology. Technology is both an enabler and a driving force for increasing the rate of improvement and empowerment of educators, students, and the systems that support them. You are at the helm of that quest in this role.
- Making education a richer, deeper experience for students and teachers requires deep work in personalization and social interaction technologies. These should be areas of interest and experience for you.
- We are replatforming our technology, top to bottom. We’re about 50% done. This kind of work should be exciting to you. Think: refueling a plane in midair. We want to build systems to support rapid product iteration.
- As technology and education finally begin to converge, we will use machine learning and ultimately AI and VR technologies to keep our teachers at the forefront. These should be of interest to you.
- With one of the world’s largest communities of educators active on our site, you’ll think constantly about ways to use technology to improve educators’ lives and work and empower richer learning experiences.
- Teachers depends on us. So our site and mobile apps must be dependable. Always. That’s on you too.
- Partner with product management and other teams to imagine, design, develop, test, and launch software applications that wow our community and inspire our peers.
- Experience in rapidly scaling a technical organization from ~30 engineers to 100+ engineers, while maintaining an outstanding delivery cadence.
- Experience as an outstanding people manager, with proven talent around organizing teams and creating effective engineering processes. You have a passion for developing the careers of the people on your team and throughout your organization.
- Track record of hiring and managing exceptional teams
- Strong technical & product instinct and track record of taking successful products from idea, to launch, to scale, with examples to share with us
- Experience as a deep technologist, who can manage TpT's technical roadmap, and provide technical oversight to the engineering organization. The TpT stack is currently based on PHP, Elixir, React, Node.js, and MySQL, leveraging AWS.
- Passionate for community driven marketplaces and technologies.
- Exceptionally strong leadership skills – you’re a person people want to follow and who empowers teams.
- Strong personal brand is helpful
- BA/BS in Computer Science or related technical field preferred
- 5+ years of leading a large and growing engineering organization
- 15+ years of experience in Software Engineering & Architecture
- Ability to communicate complex technical issues simply and convincingly to a wide range of audiences
Qualities for a successful candidate:
- Believe in our mission to connect and empower teachers
- Appreciate feedback and value honest, thoughtful critique
- Perform well in a fast-paced, startup environment
- Love honest, open dialogue in which we celebrate our ideas and our failures.
- Be a team player: team and impact come first
- Be iterative in your approach – favoring testing over hunches (and yet hunches over unambitious options)
- Demonstrate versatility, intellectual curiosity, creativity, and analytical thinking
- Have the ability to work independently, as well as within a larger team environment on complex projects
- Maintain the mindset that no job is too big or small, and have the ability to do whatever it takes to get the job done well and efficiently
- Have a substantive job application that stands out, shows what you’ve built, shows your technical skills, and tells us who you are as a person
Extra Points for:
- E-commerce/Marketplace experience
- Education or teaching experience
- MS and/or PhD in Computer Science or related field