Recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment, Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) is responsible for the PlayStation® brand and family of products and services. PlayStation has delivered innovation to the market since the launch of the original PlayStation in Japan in 1994. The PlayStation family of products and services include PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Vita, PlayStation®3, PlayStation®Store, PlayStation®Plus, PlayStation™Video, PlayStation™Music, PlayStation™Now, PlayStation™Vue, PlayStation®Original and acclaimed PlayStation software titles from SIE Worldwide Studios. Headquartered in San Mateo, California, SIE is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation and has global functions and regional headquarters in California, London and Tokyo.
Senior Network Engineer
Overall, the position of Senior Network Engineer is expected to partner with the organization to:
- Install, maintain, and support network routers, switches, and other communications devices used by Production Services, including LAN, WAN, Firewall, VPN and Internet infrastructure for the use of SIE staff and offshore vendors.
- Assist with the planning and design of new network typologies and the deployment of new equipment to create highly reliable 24x7 production networks for Internet, LAN, WAN, and QA verification purposes.
- Monitor network performance and conduct in-depth network performance testing.
- Working closely with the Security group to protect all equipment, proactively monitor network security.
- Provide technical support to a wide range of SIE departments on a wide range of issues concerning networking, the development of applications utilizing those networks, large-scope Production Services related projects.
- Assist in being primary/secondary point of contact for a multi-homed AS with multiple ISP and telecommunications vendors.
- Assist in the design and implementation of cable installations and site wiring/planning for internal/external expansion projects.
- Advise and recommend the purchase of new network equipment whenever appropriate while adhering to smart product comparisons for thoroughness.
- Travel occasionally as needed to support remote offices and server collocation facilities.
- Advise and recommend the purchase of new network equipment whenever appropriate.
- Create on going documentation as it relates to network diagrams and infrastructure topology.
- Collaborate with Production Services staff whenever appropriate to ensure adequate network resources and proper information transfer within the Production Services group as a whole.
- Provide 24X7 on call response to ensure fast response to network issues/outages on a rotating basis.
- Provide network-engineering support for industry trade shows, as needed.
- Research emerging technologies with an eye on how they will affect our core business.
REQUIRED SKILLS – This section outlines skills necessary to perform the function. Examples of skill categories are:
- PEOPLE: Strong experience with teamwork in Internet-related network engineering groups; expert technical-level verbal and written communication skills in English.
- PROCESS: Ability to participate in process definition for change management and engineering problem resolution to support extremely large-scale 24x7 network environments.
- TECHNICAL: Must have computer science knowledge adequate to understand and communicate complex real time network concepts to technical teams; must be experienced with high-end networking switches, routers and telecommunications devices; excellent knowledge of TCP/IP, BGP, HSRP, high speed serial and Ethernet networking experience; Internet related knowledge of protocols such as DNS, NTP, FTP, SMTP, SNMP, HTTP; advanced level of network architecture planning and implementation experience; intermediate MS Office skills and Visio skills; Unix/Linux administration, Windows and MAC OS experience.
- PLANNING/IMPLEMENTATION: Must be able to create and maintain project plans in collaboration with technical teams and management.
- INDUSTRY: Should have background necessary to understand operations, security, and network planning and implementation.
- PROBLEM SOLVING: requires identifying that a problem exists, identifying new solutions or reviewing recommendations regarding solutions to problems. There are no precedents or guidelines, and solutions require developing new concepts
REPORTING RELATIONSHIPS – Reports to Manager, Network Engineering
Responsibilities: Allocation of Time
1. Install, maintain, and support network and communications hardware and software
2.. Assist with planning of new network infrastructure
3. Collaborate with other Production Services staff and departments to provide technical support
Types of Decisions:
Makes decisions requiring interpretation typically made within the confines of business plans or objectives established by management.
3-5 years of experience preferred
1. One or two years of post-high school education or training required.
2. A degree from a four-year college (i.e., BA, BS) or equivalent experience preferred
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.