Let’s go inspire 100 million people to learn anything they can imagine. Let’s go inspire 100,000 instructors to share their knowledge with the world. Let’s go help 10,000 businesses to change the way their employees learn.
Learn. Empathize. Take Ownership. ‘nnovate. Show Passion.
Get Stuff Done. Open Up.
We believe anyone can build the life they imagine through online learning. Today, more than 13 million students around the world are advancing their careers and passions by mastering new skills on Udemy. Through our global marketplace, we connect lifelong learners around the world to the largest selection of online courses created by expert instructors, and we’re just getting started.
We’re a close-knit bunch that enjoys problem-solving and collaboration, and we share a serious commitment to delivering the best possible learning and teaching experiences. Udemy’s culture encourages innovation, creativity, passion, and teamwork. We also celebrate our milestones and support each other every day.
Founded in 2010, Udemy is privately owned and headquartered in San Francisco’s SOMA neighborhood with offices in Dublin, Ireland, and Ankara, Turkey. Compensation includes full-time salary, equity compensation plan, and competitive benefits including healthcare, commuter benefits, parental leave, and an unlimited vacation policy.
This person will:
- Develop, test, and release full-stack, end-to-end features for Udemy’s core teaching and learning platform, that supports over 11 million students and increases student engagement, learning, and happiness.
- Plan, organize, and get work done in 2-week agile sprints.
- Participate in code reviews and post-deployment site monitoring.
- Serve as a technical lead for various projects/tasks as needed. This may involve some project planning, resource planning, and deployment planning in additional to his/her current software engineering responsibilities.
- Mentor junior engineers to become proficient developers using best software development practices and processes
- Contribute to a team culture that values quality, robustness, and scalability while fostering initiatives and innovation.
- Participate in identification and evaluation of new technologies that improve performance and elegance of our software implementation
- Minimum four (4) years experience as a software developer
- Knowledge of
- Object-oriented design and computer science fundamentals (data structures, algorithms).
- Experience with:
- RDBMS (e.g. MySQL) including development of complex SQL queries
- ORMs (preferably Django, but Rails, or others are OK)
- Python, minimum 2 years
- Linux/unix, minimum 2 years
- Testing methods, including back-end and front-end unit and integration tests
- Ability to learn, work with, and migrate existing code bases, up and down the software stack.
- Strong technical communication skills.
- Willingness to "go the extra mile" when needed.
Nice to have
- Contribution to open source projects
- Public speaking or technical blog skills
- Experience with ES6, ES7, Typescript
Udemy in the News:
Wall Street Journal: Udemy Raises $65 Million to Become Netflix for Education
Bloomberg: Why LinkedIn Is Tapping Into Online Education
Forbes: Closing The Skills Gap: How Udemy Is Helping Anyone Learn Anything
SFGate: Company culture, collaboration is focus at Udemy