Let’s go inspire 100 million people to learn anything they can imagine. Let’s go inspire 100,000 instructors to share their knowledge with the world. Let’s go help 10,000 businesses to change the way their employees learn.
Learn. Empathize. Take Ownership. ‘nnovate. Show Passion.
Get Stuff Done. Open Up.
We believe anyone can build the life they imagine through online learning. Today, more than 13 million students around the world are advancing their careers and passions by mastering new skills on Udemy. Through our global marketplace, we connect lifelong learners around the world to the largest selection of online courses created by expert instructors, and we’re just getting started.
We’re a close-knit bunch that enjoys problem-solving and collaboration, and we share a serious commitment to delivering the best possible learning and teaching experiences. Udemy’s culture encourages innovation, creativity, passion, and teamwork. We also celebrate our milestones and support each other every day.
Founded in 2010, Udemy is privately owned and headquartered in San Francisco’s SOMA neighborhood with offices in Dublin, Ireland, and Ankara, Turkey. Compensation includes full-time salary, equity compensation plan, and competitive benefits including healthcare, commuter benefits, parental leave, and an unlimited vacation policy.
- Be the engineering leader responsible for growing the number of students enrolling in the paid courses on Udemy.
- Set team goals based on company initiatives and defined metrics. Drive results through effective technical leadership, project management, and collaboration with Product Management, Design, and business teams.
- Coach team members for organizational development while supporting personal career development goals. Define success in terms of quality and level of contributions.
- Function as a leader for major initiatives and delegate as needed. This may involve resource allocation, design and code reviews.
- Continue to challenge status quo in terms of development process and best engineering practices. Promote healthy debates around new tools and processes and champion changes that have positive impact.
- Build a team culture that values quality, robustness, and scalability of our systems while fostering diversity and innovation.
- Build a credible team that meets delivery commitments while being responsive to product and business teams.
- Foster fun, friendly, and collaborative team environment for retention and recruiting.
- Work with internal and external recruiters to attract high quality candidates. Oversee the hiring process to fill open positions while strengthening the team’s diversity, capacity, and talent.
- Engage and participate in external developer meetups and events to promote Udemy engineering brand as a great place to work. Give tech talks or organize developer panels.
- Shown success as a second line engineering manager. Have consistently demonstrated ability and commitment to deliver on major initiatives from beginning to full deployment in a timely manner.
- Exercised exemplary development practices on design reviews, code reviews, unit testing, and following coding standards.
Exhibited passion for innovation.
- Track record of delivering high quality products or services that meet business requirements
- Demonstrated knowledge of web development frameworks such as Ruby on Rails or Python Django and web frontend frameworks such as AngularJS or React. Have working knowledge of services that are used on our platform. Curiosity to continue to evaluate new technologies in the market that may strengthen our platform.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively within a team and with cross-functional technical and business teams.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and make quick decisions under pressure given on-going maintenance, support, and new initiatives.
- Exhibited passion for mentoring and contributing to the development of others through code reviews, tech talks, or personal coaching.
- Motivated by startups; love working in a face-paced, entrepreneurial, innovative environment.
- Willingness to "go the extra mile" when needed.
Udemy in the News:
TechCrunch: Udemy Raises Another $65 Million To Help Anyone Learn Anything
Wall Street Journal: Udemy Raises $65 Million to Become Netflix for Education
Bloomberg: Why LinkedIn Is Tapping Into Online Education
Forbes: Closing The Skills Gap: How Udemy Is Helping Anyone Learn Anything
SFGate: Company culture, collaboration is focus at Udemy