Background: GiveDirectly is driving a re-evaluation of the assumptions underlying international philanthropy with a provocative model: we deliver donations directly to the extreme poor and let them decide what to do with them. This approach builds on two converging trends: the rapid spread of electronic last-mile payments solutions in the emerging markets, and the large body of experimental evidence showing that direct transfers are as or more cost-effective at reducing poverty than more traditional, top-down approaches. GiveDirectly’s field operations utilize state-of-the-art technology and business processes to deliver transfers securely, efficiently, and transparently. Our unorthodox approach – allowing the poor, and not the donor, to choose where they invest – has prompted debate in the popular press and among policy makers. GiveDirectly has been featured on NPR’s This American Life, and in Foreign Affairs, The Economist, and The New York Times. It was named one of the Top 10 Most Innovative Companies in Finance by FastCompany, one of the 25 Most Audacious Companies by Inc., and one of GiveWell’s top-rated charities for 4 years running.
Position Overview: The Human Resource Officer assists with the administration of the day-to-day operations of the human resources department and carries out responsibilities in some or all of the following functional areas: recruitment and selection; employee contracting; employee data management; onboarding and any other duties assigned by the HRM from time to time.
- Source applicants by placing job advertisements on GD Website and External job boards.
- Screen resumes and shortlist applicants fit for the role advertised
- Manage the interview process through scheduling, arranging interview logistics and managing the applicant experience
- Ensure background checks are completed before issuing offers to prospective new hires.
- Ensure the delivery of offer letters and contracts to selected applicants on a timely basis
- Participate in and provide administrative support during the employee separation processes including exit interviews
- Planning, and sometimes delivering training - including inductions for new staff
- Provides payroll information by updating employee records in a timely and accurate manner
- Maintains historical human resource records by designing a filing and retrieval system; keeping past and current records
- Coordinate logistics related to onboarding of new employees including opening new employee files, printing of staff IDs, ensuring sign off on HR policies and collection of statutory documents
- Maintains employee benefits programs and informs the service provider of any new employees to be added in the scheme
- Assist in designing systems for regular performance tracking, including links to payroll where appropriate
- Provide administrative support during review cycles, including scheduling and updating system to reflect changes in title/compensation
- Assist HRM to identify professional development opportunities/initiatives for staff
Organizational culture building
- Support in implementing activities and events oriented around team-building
- Assist in brainstorming initiatives to codify and promote GD’s culture and values
- Strong interest in and passion for personnel management and building a best-in-class organization
- Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail
- Must have a Diploma or Degree in Human Resource
- Exceptional communication skills, including ability to navigate challenging HR situations that involve complex inter-personal dynamics
- Capacity for motivating and building consensus across a large team
- Proficiency with MS Excel and Word
- Strong ownership mind-set and ability to work in a self-directed manner
- Fluent in English & Kiswahili
- Previous HR Experience is an added advantage