MassChallenge Inc. is a global startup accelerator with existing programs in Boston, London, Lausanne, Jerusalem, and Mexico City. We are the most startup-friendly accelerator on the planet. No equity and not-for-profit, we provide startups with the access and resources they need to succeed - from free office space to mentoring, workshops and global network access.
Accounting and Finance is the engine that keeps MassChallenge running. As the Accounting and Finance Manager, you will be primary accounting resource for MassChallenge, while assisting in various finance/strategy related projects. You will report the Director of Finance Manager but be the key liaison with our external Controller, taking lead on everything from day-to-day activities to defining key accounting processes and controls. MassChallenge is a fast paced environment and this role will require both attention to detail and autonomy in fast paced, high pressure situations.
- Main point of contact with our controller
- Account classification, coding, and complete understanding of bookkeeping processes
- Accounts Payable - Process vendor invoices for payment, proper account recognition
- Accounts Receivable - Billing/Invoicing, revenue recognition, Salesforce updating
- Payroll - Assist team members with processing payroll and personal reimbursements in Expensify
- Monthly close of financial statements - transactional review, bank reconciliations, credit card reconciliations, recording basic accruals
- Annual Audit – assist Finance Director and external auditors with the audit each year by providing supporting documentation and explanations as requested
- In-house expert on all things bookkeeping, accounts receivable/payable, and general accounting and finance
- Triage emails, organize inbox, and ensure timely responses to inquiries and requests
- You will be responsible for answering questions directly and handing off questions to appropriate staff members
- Engage on strategic build out of the finance and accounting function, both recommending and implementing systematic improvements
Required Skills & Background:
- Analytical, self-motivated, organized, detail oriented and takes ownership of work
- Strong knowledge of excel
- Knowledge of web based applications; Dropbox, QBO, Bill.com
- Or must be a quick/independent learner
- Knowledge of basic accounting principles
- Desire to be part of a startup and a fast paced environment
- Embrace change; be able to adapt and innovate
- Problem solving mindset; clearly identify issues and present creative solutions
- Build strong rapport with team members and clients
- Professional verbal and written communication
- Accounting background (degree or previous experience)
Who You Are:
- You are committed to success and will take this opportunity seriously
- You have a passion for working with your hands and aren’t afraid to get dirty
- You are excited about the mission of MassChallenge to "Help entrepreneurs win."
- You will thrive on being at the center of the startup universe and take advantage of opportunities given to you
- You can work effectively in a startup environment with relatively little structure
- You are independent, biased to action, resourceful, and willing to learn while doing
Benefits of Working at MassChallenge:
MassChallenge provides significant professional development and growth opportunities and access to an incredible network of innovators and entrepreneurs. Specifically, interns:
- Gain direct access to the world's highest-impact startups across all industries.
- Gain direct access to the world's best and most supportive startup resources, including top investors, corporate executives, politicians, university personnel and more.
- Learn how to optimize the growth of startups across multiple industries.
- Learn how and when startups should seek key resources and support.
How to Apply
Draft a one-page cover letter in which you tell us about yourself by answering the following three questions:
- Why Startups: Tell us why you want to work with startups, and why at MassChallenge in particular.
- Why You: Detail why you are a perfect match for this particular job.
- Compensation Requirements: Please tell us your salary expectations. We regret that we cannot consider any candidate who does not provide specific salary requirements.
Please be sure that the cover letter is no longer than a single page.
Finally, when you send us your LinkedIn profile, please do NOT cut and paste the URL from your browser's address bar. Rather, please provide the shorter URL that LinkedIn provides, which includes your name.