POSITION: Program Specialist
REPORTS TO: Director of Special Education
START DATE: July 2017
- Special Education Team
LOCATION: San Jose, CA
Alpha Public Schools is a network of public charter schools serving the students of East San Jose. Alpha students, families and teachers collaborate to develop the 21st century academic skills and character strengths students need for success in school, college and career. Together we create self-reliant leaders committed to making positive change in the world.
Under the direction of the Director of Special Education, the Program Specialist is responsible for overseeing and supporting the implementation of the Special Education program. The Program Specialist works cooperatively with school leaders and staff in supporting students with disabilities, and will take initiative to improve the quality of education in the community. The Program Specialist will embrace and encourage the acceptance of diversity while using effective people skills to communicate. A successful candidate will have the ability to command respect and work with students in a positive manner. Each staff member serves as a role model for our students in how to conduct themselves as respectful and responsible young adults. Finally, Alpha staff hold a deep belief that all students can succeed in college, and that it is the responsibility of staff to ensure that success.
Program Support and Development
- Work closely with the Director of Special Education to develop, implement, and improve special education programming across Alpha’s K-12 network
- Serve as liaison between school teams and network team regarding program development, implementation, and needs
Coaching and Development
- Plan, execute, and improve professional development and on-boarding for new/returning teachers and other SPED staff
- Conduct observations and coach teachers and paraprofessionals to meet goals and move along the professional growth rubric
IEP Guidance and Support
- Participate in the development of Individualized Education Programs (IEPs) which include annual goals and short-term objectives for exceptional students
- Provide feedback and coaching around IEP writing and meeting facilitation
- Manage difficult cases, and attend challenging IEPs as administrative designee
Administration and Compliance
- Support in paperwork collection and organization
- Disseminate necessary information to school-site teams
- Assist in managing state and federal reporting mandates
- Coach and support teachers in keeping compliant records
- DRIVEN: Alpha staff members have a sustained commitment to the school and workplace that demonstrates persistence and drive to complete a job.
- ENTREPRENEURIAL: Alpha staff members demonstrate risk taking, innovation, self-confidence, and the ability to push oneself beyond one’s comfort zone.
- RELATIONSHIP BUILDER: Alpha staff members demonstrate how they have leveraged relationships to improve outcomes for students and will develop strong relationships with Alpha students, families, and staff
- FLEXIBLE: Alpha staff members adapt to meet the needs of the organization and a startup work environment
- Valid clear SPED credential (mild-moderate or moderate-severe; CA or ability to transfer)
- Masters Degree in Education (Special Education, preferred) or equivalent degree, preferred
- Administrative Services credential desirable
- Extensive knowledge of SPED laws and best practices
- CA teaching experience preferred; if not, able and willing to get quickly caught up on California SPED laws
- 3-5+ years successful teaching experience (preferably in low-income communities)
- Fluent in Spanish, highly prefered
- Experience managing adults, preferred
- Proven experience managing difficult IEP cases
- Customer service approach to education (teachers and parents)
- Stellar interpersonal and communications skills
- Excellent integrity and demonstrate good moral character and initiative
- Relationship builder with the flexibility and finesse to "manage by influence"
- CPR and First Aid Certification
Apply to work at Alpha: https://boards.greenhouse.io/alphapublicschools/jobs/505276
- Cover Letter
Please submit your application online
Note that in our fast-growing organization, specific functional responsibilities of the role may change depending on staff capacity and organizational need.
Incomplete applications or those with errors will not be considered. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability. We are strongly committed to hiring a diverse and multicultural staff and encourage applications from traditionally underrepresented backgrounds.