SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars. NDE (NON-DESTRUCTIVE EVALUATION) LEVEL II – ULTRA SONICS IMMERSION INSPECTION TECHNICIAN (UT)Overview:NDE Level II Inspection technician position at SpaceX sits within the quality control network supporting production as part of the NDE organization within the Build Reliability department. The NDE function is organized within focused production area cells alongside the production activities utilizing multiple and varied inspection methods to efficiently provide quality control and protect product reliability.This position situated within the Merlin M1D manufacturing area where SpaceX utilizes a range of metal joining methodologies to construct assemblies from cast, forged, machined and 3D printed parts. This role will involve primarily volumetric inspection utilizing bespoke immersion ultrasonic inspection machines and techniques, as well as the utilization of hand scanning using Longitudinal Wave and Shearwave techniquesResponsibilities:
- Perform volumetric NDE inspections with Advanced Ultra Sonic Immersion Machines
- Perform volumetric NDE inspections with Longitudinal Wave and Shearwave hand scan techniques
- Interpret, evaluate, communicate and report findings to production & Engineering
- Interpret and review engineering drawings as required
- Support the development of NDE inspection techniques for complex geometries
- Assist in training and developing others within the team
- Support research and development in to future Ultra Sonic technology development for operational improvement and optimization
Preferred Skills & Experience:
- High School Diploma or GED
- Minimum 2 years of experience as a Level II Non-Destructive Technician
- Level II certification in line with NAS–410/ASNT–TC-1A guidance in Ultra Sonics with immersion specialty experience
- Operational experience of utilizing immersion ultrasonic systems for the inspection of weldments
- Knowledge of UTEX Inspectionware software or equivalent
- Hands on experience using portable digital equipment such as Olympus EPOCH 600, USM GO scopes
- Knowledge of NASA 5009 standards
- Knowledge of AMS, AWS / ASME, ASTM’s
- Problem Solving tools and techniques: Practical Problem Solving (PPS), 8D
- Basic understanding of lean principles: 5s, Kaizen, Continuous improvement initiatives
- Basic computer skills: Microsoft applications – word, power point, excel
- Must be able to lift 25 lbs unassisted, bend, stretch, stand for extended periods of time, climb stairs, reach, twist, sit, walk, and/or run.
- Must be willing to work overtime and on weekends if needed
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.