SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
Apprentice Friction Stir Weld Technician (2nd Shift)
- Support hardware delivery projects for the development of structural components supporting the SpaceX family of products.
- Support set up tooling and materials for friction stir welding projects under the direction of friction stir weld engineers and managers.
- Assist with set up and operation of friction stir welding equipment.
- Train in periodic maintenance on friction stir weld equipment.
- Support friction stir weld production process under the direction of friction stir weld engineers and managers.
- High school diploma or GED required.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Relevant friction stir welding experience.
- Military experience is a plus.
- 3-5 years metal fabrication experience.
- Experience using hand tools (grinders, torque wrenches, etc.).
- Prior experience working in a machine shop with CNC knowledge is a plus.
- Working within a manufacturing or production environment is a plus.
- Basic knowledge of metallurgy of materials and joining processes is preferred.
- The ability to perform basic shop mathematical skills such as fractional math and trigonometry.
- Certifications from an accredited welding school is a plus.
- Ability to meet deadlines and have a “whatever it takes” attitude to complete assignments.
- Practical mechanical knowledge.
- Able to climb ladders and stairs and work in small restricted areas.
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time.
- Must be available to work either 1st Shift (5:00am-3:30pm) or 2nd Shift (3:30pm-2:00am)
- Must be available to work overtime and weekends as needed.
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 25 lbs.
- Able to pass Pulmonary Function Test to obtain respirator certification.
- Valid driver’s license required.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.