SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
Surface Plate Inspector
- Surface plate work/inspection
- Inspect supplied product according to the applicable drawing and or work order specifications to verify that it conforms to all design requirements.
- Perform repetitive inspection following standardized methods.
- Perform receiving inspections, first article inspections, and production inspections
- In-Process Inspection: Visual and/or dimensional inspection of precision machined and sheet metal parts.
- Interact proactively with other departments to improve products and reduce cost.
- Communicate help resolve quality related issues as they relate to the shops production and
- Document production non-conformances in accordance with prescribed procedures and processes as required.
- Support Quality Management System policies and procedure documentation, assess compliance to company and industry standards, initiate and lead continual improvement and Lean Manufacturing initiatives.
- Work in a cross functional environment utilizing PC-DMIS programming skills as applied to an Articulating Romer ARM and CMMs.
- Performs documentation review and verification of certifications, specifications, and conformance to design and specification requirements.
- High school diploma or GED is required.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Experienced with the inspection of sheet metal parts.
- Able to read and interpret various mechanical drawings and blueprints.
- Ability to utilize hand tools for inspection, i.e. micrometers, calipers, scales, gauges and height gauges
- Clear understanding of document control processes.
- Ability to relate and interact with staff at all levels of the organization.
- Works independently and is self-directed.
- Experience with GD&T is desired
- Able to multi-task between production checks and FAIs.
- Minimum of 3 years of precision mechanical inspection experience required.
- Minimum of 3 years of CMM or Faro Arm experience required.
- Aerospace precision inspection experience.
- ISO 9001 / AS9100 experience.
- CMM experience with PC-DMIS software experience.
- NC inspection experience with PC-DMIS NC/ CAPPS NC
- Romer Arm experience with Verisurf/ PCDMIS software.
- Solid computer skills in Microsoft Word, Outlook and Excel.
- DCC (Direct Computer Control) experience.
- Statistical process controls experience a plus.
- Ability to detect design and drawing flaws.
- Ability to read and interpret engineering drawings and specification using ASME Y14.5. GD&T and skillful use of metrology tools and gauges.
- At least 3 years of practical experience in a launch vehicle/spacecraft hardware integration environment.
- Must be able to read and interpret design drawings and CAD models.
- Must be able to lift up to 25lbs. unassisted.
- Must be able to work either 1st Shift (5:00am-3:30pm) or 2nd shift hours (3:30pm-2:00am) based on staffing needs, and overtime as needed.
- Must be able to stand for extended periods – 8 hours min.
- Must be able to work all shift hours, able to work overtime and weekend as needed
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.