SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
Environmental Health & Safety Engineer (Cape Canaveral)
- Develop, implement and maintain site specific environmental policies.
- Responsible for hazardous and non-hazardous waste management, including DOT and RCRA.
- Performs environmental compliance and due diligence audits.
- Prepare and update Spill Prevention Control Countermeasures (SPCC) plans as required.
- Review and interpret new and proposed environmental laws and regulations, and provide guidance to management.
- Conduct and monitor the NPDES and other discharge permits/plans.
- Coordinate waste characterization and profiling.
- Monitor, track and ensure company EPA hazardous waste records are completed accordingly.
- Conducts and/or coordinates employee safety and environmental training programs and emergency response training drills.
- Develop, implement and maintain site specific safety policies.
- Develop and maintain all processes as outlined by the OSHA and EPA RMP EPCRA/CERCLA standards.
- Consults with site management to develop, determine implementation schedule and operational requirements related to the site specific safety policies.
- Collaborates with management to complete job hazard analysis and PPE assessments.
- Monitor employee exposure to job and chemical hazards.
- Recommend process and product safety features that will reduce employees’ exposure to chemical, physical, and biological work hazards.
- Develop and implement the site Industrial Hygiene program.
- Develop recommendations for remedial actions when safety policies are not met by employees.
- Inspect facilities, machinery, and safety equipment in order to identify and correct potential hazards.
- Ensure compliance with local, state, and federal regulations relating to our industry.
- Develop community relationships with local, state and federal entities such as: police departments, police chiefs, emergency medical teams, city officials, etc…
- Complete and maintain required safety logs and reports.
- Maintains plant safety statistics and submits reports of performance as requested.
- Coordinate all work with sub-contractors to prepare Title V permit applications, compliance reports, and monitoring reports.
- Follow-up reporting of spills and releases.
- Investigate industrial accidents, injuries, or occupational diseases to determine causes and preventive measures.
- Report or review findings from accident investigations, facilities inspections and environmental testing.
- Develop, implement and maintain safety contingency plans (fires, spills, etc.).
- Develop a proactive approach and project plan to preventing and solving workplace safety issues.
- Purchase and maintain site personal protective equipment.
- Bachelor's degree.
- 3 or more years of experience in the design, development and general operational oversight of environmental, health and safety disciplines.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Strong knowledge and experience in interpreting, applying and documenting federal, state and local safety, transportation, and environmental regulations.
- Generalist knowledge in Environmental Hazards and Safety disciplines with experience in safety, ergonomics, environmental compliance and industrial hygiene.
- Experience with emergency response crews in incidents involving hazardous and non-hazardous material releases to air, soil, and water.
- Knowledge of specific Federal and State environmental laws and regulations.
- Ability to multi-task, to manage shifting priorities and to follow through on projects with minimal supervision.
- Strong organizational and communication skills are essential.
- Intermediate Microsoft Office (Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Outlook).
- Bachelor of Science in engineering with an emphasis in Occupational Health and Safety, Environmental Engineering, preferred.
- The ability to work in a high-concentration, high-stress environment.
- Must be able to pass Cape Canaveral Air Force Station background check.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.