SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not.
Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
IT Systems Administrator (Cape Canaveral)
- Build, manage and administer a rapidly-growing, mission-critical, IT environment including: Windows, Linux, Solaris, and VMWare.
- Install new/rebuild existing servers and configure hardware, peripherals, services, settings, directories, storage, etc. in accordance with published standards and project requirements.
- Apply OS patches and upgrades on a regular basis, and upgrade administrative tools and utilities.
- Develop and operate enterprise storage systems on high performance and scalable mediums such as NAS, SAN, optical, and tape.
- Install and configure servers, network equipment, power distribution units, and other IT datacenter systems.
- Perform daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware, server resources, systems and key processes, reviewing system and application logs, and verifying completion of scheduled jobs such as nightly backups.
- Support the site with the regular monitoring of infrastructure systems including power and HVAC.
- Perform ongoing performance tuning, hardware upgrades, and resource optimization as required.
- Repair and recover from hardware or software failures.
- Work directly with engineers and management to ensure IT systems are maintained and upgraded appropriately, ensuring their availability for all launch, mission, and recovery-related activities.
- Performs other related duties, as assigned, for the purpose of ensuring an efficient and effective work environment.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- BA/BS degree in Information Technology or related field is preferred; equivalent work experience/certification required.
- Minimum 3 years' system administration experience including Linux, Microsoft Windows, and VMware required.
- Experience in server hardware, management software, storage technologies, and networking required.
- High-level of familiarity with Windows PowerShell and other related, command line and management tools required.
- Experience successfully managing multiple projects and tasks; ensuring those same projects are properly aligned with corporate objectives.
- Experience with storage technologies, including RAID, CIFS, NFS, SATA, and SAS.
- Must be able to troubleshoot computer hardware, software, and IP networks.
- Ability to plan, implement, test, and troubleshoot system software.
- Ability to troubleshoot computer hardware, printers, and software.
- Must be comfortable working with mission critical and sensitive systems, with a sense of urgency appropriate to the responsibilities of the position.
- Ability to address and resolve information technology issues promptly, effectively and independently.
- Ability to understand highly technical concepts and communicate them to others in non-technical terms.
- Experience with Windows Management Interface and Desired State Configuration preferred.
- Experience with the administration and management of Microsoft Systems Center Configuration Manager (SCCM) preferred.
- Experience with nginx, bash, and Python preferred.
- Must be physically fit enough to regularly lift up to 25 lbs. for duties such as rack-mounting network equipment and servers.
- Ability to travel is required for operational, support, and training purposes.
- Must be able to pass Cape Canaveral Air Force Station background check.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resource Department at (310) 363-6000.