SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
Landing Legs/COPV Structures Engineer
- As a Structures Engineer at SpaceX you will have the opportunity to utilize your knowledge, experience and creativity on developing novel solutions at the cutting edge of space technology. You will work on current and next gen iterations of our Falcon 9 vehicles that will deliver satellites into earth orbit, ferry humans to and from the international space station and ultimately extend humanity’s reach beyond the earth and moon. You will have ownership of your work from the concept creation through the design and analysis phases and will also participate in the manufacturing and integration of the part used on our current and next generation launch vehicles.
- Design, analyze, produce primary and secondary structures for our current and next generation Falcon 9 launch vehicle
- Create novel solutions to technical challenges
- Design and verify parts on our vehicles utilizing hand calculations, finite element analysis and design skills
- Partner with Engineering & Manufacturing teams to generate ideas, designs and processes for current and next generation vehicles.
- Manage and track multiple priorities while maintaining a focus towards common project goals
- Participate in design reviews internally and with suppliers and customers
- Provide oversight, design direction and flow down requirements to hardware vendors
- Focus on reaching the highest possible mass-fraction for our launch vehicles while also maintaining unmatched structural reliability.
- Bachelors of Science Degree in mechanical engineering or related engineering discipline
- One year of experience in one or more of the following: involvement with an outside the classroom project team designing and building mechanical structures, academic research on mechanical structures, or professional experience designing and analyzing mechanical structures.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Experience with NX
- Experience working with composite materials
- Team or sub-team leadership experience
- Experience with pressurized structures and/or other lightweight aerospace structures
- Demonstrable problem solving skills
- Hands on project experience
- Ability to work independently
- Must be available to work extended hours and weekends as needed
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.